How do you ID an SM465? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:14 PM
NoVaCJ7

How do you ID an SM465?

I am doing a conversion in my 83 CJ from the stock 4.2 to a Chevy 350. I am looking for an SM465 transmission and think I have found one. Are there any markings specific to the 465?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:02 PM

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do you ID an SM465?

hope this help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:31 PM

Heres a question for anyone with the 465 or any 3 speed tranny.

How do they do city daily driving?

I bought one for a swap but after someone commented.. "Are you serious? Your going to daily drive it with 3 gears?" It got me thinking..

I mean, the 3rd is the same as my 5th right now.. and the 1st is about hte same.. so what? Just less shifting? Little more gentle with the clutch?

I mean these things have been in trucks since the begining of trucks right?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sm465 is a four speed. in three speeds 3rd gear would generaly be 1:1 where 5th gear in 5 speeds is most often an overdrive
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:54 PM
jcarcrew

I get your question I think. I have a NP435 in my jeep and one in my 90 dodge 1ton. It is not like most 4spds because the low gear is not synchro. So usually unless you need a really low gear, you start in second. The suburban I had with a Sm465 had low,1st,2nd,3rd on the shifter handle. Its even hard to shift out of low sometimes so it really is more like a 3spd. Another gear on the highway would be nice, but around town and on the trail they are great. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a 465 in my 82 JC8. The SM465 is a truck tranny so yes it drives and shifts just like a truck!!!! I'd hate to drive mine in the city!!!! It did make a lot of difference on the trails for the better. Remember the 465 is a thee speed with the compound gear making it a four and I dont'think you would use granny gear in the city much!!!
I would try to find a NV4500 if I could do it over again. I already had the 465 so thats the way I went!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 PM
NoVaCJ7

Thanks everyone. WC I hadnt seen the NOVAK site before i really appreciate that one. I had a 95YJ previously that I swapped a 4.3 into. I loved the Jeep but couldnt keep it when we moved to VA cause of emissions. Needless to say I've been looking for one to build from the ground up and bought this one over Christmas. I'll post the show as we build it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The SM465 is a great transmission. It is about as strong a drivetrain part as you are going to find. This past summer I worked as a stone masion, and the truck I used to trasport rocks was an old GM with a SM465 in it. Flat bed with side boards. The transmission had a Ton of miles on it, and it never even skipped a beat. And that truck was a worker, it was not uncommen for me to load it with 4-5 thousand pounds of rocks... (that isn't even that many rocks, they are pretty heavy) and pull a trailer with a bobcat on it. (another 7000 lbs) That is a serious load, and like I said even with 100K + that trans never skipped a beat.
A couple of the smaller (by smaller I mean 1 1ton) trucks at the place I worked had Sm465's also, and I found them to be very streetable. However I was double clutching, I found that to make a big difference, and made them quite a joy to drive. (learning to double clutch isn't all that hard at all, I think if I can do it, then pretty much anyone can) I can't wait to get the 350/SM465 into my Jeep. IMHO (all things considered) the SM465 is the Best manual Trans to swap into Jeeps with GM motors. (Yes the NV4500 is a nice price trans, but only if you have $2500 to spend... Just on the part.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Out of NINE GM pickups I have owned, only three were slushboxes, the rest were all SM465 trannys. I have put 200,000 miles on them and only "freshened" them up because we had everything else apart at the time. They'll go a couple-hundred thousand easy. If you halfway pay attention, and don't "slop shift" and make the synchros do all the work the synchro packs will go as long as the bearings will. My idea is to run the highest rear end ratio as I can in my pickups, and then I use bottom gear to "launch" if I have a load of any kind. I can even downshift into unsynchronized low if need be, but then I came from a old-time truck driving background, before they ever HEARD of synchros. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The other thing is driving along with you hand on the stick......it helps WEAR OUT the top end of the tranny, so try not to let yourself get in that habit. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Jeepchick is strictly an automatic fan so her CJ is a TH400. If I were building another Jeep today I would simply go 350-SM465-NP205 and I'd have it right where I wanted it. There are lots of those combos in salvage yards......lots of them......and they are easy to "freshen up" before you use them. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode