WHY ME! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

WHY ME!

Here we go again, adding insult to injury.

Fuel pump ate it on the way to school today.

Pondered at the bottom of the big hill for a while.. then soaked a rag and drove with my. "Gravity Feed" pump for a while [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But.. on a more serious note.

I'm going to jam in an electric pump this afternoon in the parking lot.

Any ideas anyone?

I was going to get an inline one, from the local auto-parts place.

What vehicle came stock with a carb, and an inline electric pump? They won't go searching, so I have to give them year/make/model. (lame I know)

post everything you can think of so I can get the cheapest one..

Then.. how do I put it inline? Cut the hardline the lendth of the pump use a couple short sections of rubber hose and hose clamps?

and this thing should be as close as possible to the tank right? or can I just stick it anywhere that's convinient?

Also, how hard are mechanical pumps to change? If the price is right I may do that, otherwise it's an electric for now..

(YJ 258)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: WHY ME!

1. Mechanical pumps can be a pain to change,
2. If you've got Power steering...
3. The pump's kind buried under the pump assembly.
4. But it's far easier to change in a parking lot,
5. Than installing an electrical pump in a parking lot.
6. May I sugges (he says thinging off the top of his head):[*]Change the Mechanical Pump[*]Drive home[*]Put the Jeep up on ramps[*]Support the drive-train.[*]Drop the transmission skid plate[*]Use my Unpatened PVC holder for Electric Fuel Pumps.[*]Cut the Fuel line[*]Install a valve[*]Install a "T"[*]Install a switch for the electric fuel pump[*]Install the electric fuel pump on one leg of the "T"[*]Run the other leg of the "T" to the mechanical fuel pump.[*]Use the valve to control fuel to either leg[*]Very similar to gas tank switching.
7. Next time you loose your mechanical fuel pump...
8. Turn the valve to the electric fuel pump,
9. Turn on the pump with a switch,
10. Drive on....
11. Fix the mechanical pump later.
12. Mechanical pumps are far less expensive than electrical pumps.
13. Even in Canada.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Official Curmudgeon

You don't need something that is an OEM replacement, there are several generic retro-fit electric pumps out there. Holley is one of the names and there are several others.

Yes, it would be best to get it at the bottom of the hardline right after it comes down to frame level from the tank. For temporary, you could just hook it up near where the mechanical pump was with a couple pieces of soft fuel line and run a jumper wire for power to get you home to better working conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Official Historian

If the mechanical fuel pumps diaphram split, would you want the electric pump to pump through it?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Carbureted YJ 258 mechanical pumps (like my 88) are very easy to change -- it's on the passenger side - the lines and 2 bolts. They are also very cheap -- like $18, if I remember correctly.

Buy 2. Keep a spare in the back of the jeep.

I like a mechanical pump when using a carb. If the thing rolls over, the engine stalls, the pumping stops. Electric pumps would just keep pumping until you turn off the key.

Good luck
Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:24 PM

It should be right on the side of the block and quite simple to change. Two bolts and whatever fittings are on the fuel lines. The mechanical pump is cheap, and maybe I am extrordinarly lucky, but I have not had one fail on my jeep yet. Though I changed it just for good luck when I first bought the jeep, as the pumps were so cheap.

Are others finding the stock mechanical pumps don't last very long?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the headsup guys.

I was just remembering someone told me that the mechanical pumps were crap and to stick in an electric.

As it turns out, everyone has told me just to replace the mechanical pump.

I'll buy one.. or two.. depending on price. (at $18 I can afford 2) [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I waas going to set something up like... DD was it?

Mechanical and electric as a backup.. pump through one another in normal mode.

Also, I know my tanks been run dry lately (SAME FAWKING HILL! (This hill is also where my carb iced for hte first time.. now it does it all the time.. I've run out of fuel on that hill, lost a battery cable some how.. and that's also where my starter decided the hill wasn't going ot be a good place to start.) (No joke I've been stuck on that hill more times then I have fingers on one hand.)

I also broke my ratchet yesterday.. (thank god for club membership [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Got some buddies bringing a fuel pump and tools.)

THnx for the info guys..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(This hill is also where my carb iced for hte first time.. now it does it all the time.. I've run out of fuel on that hill, lost a battery cable some how.. and that's also where my starter decided the hill wasn't going ot be a good place to start.) (No joke I've been stuck on that hill more times then I have fingers on one hand.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you ought to find a new route to school/home? Me thinks that hill don't likey you! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

R/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:45 PM

Yup, it was me. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I like my setup. I have yet (for some odd reason) to lose the diaphram on a 258 FP. It always just seem to quit working. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Anyway I have mine setup so I can flip the switch to start the elect. on if I need it. BUT....I also have a length of rubber hose that if the mech. one died to a diaphram problem I can just "reclamp" the hose to bypass it. I have to say that I have had to use this twice since I put it on mine. And I don't think I would run without it anymore. Has saved me on the road..........but really saved me wayyyyyyy back in the woods too. (right raduckal? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Old Hand

I know you said that you are going mechanical, but wanted to add my experience anyway. If you ever end up cutting your fuel line that runs along the frame, make sure that you blow it back to the tank first or you will siphon your tank empty -- ask me how I know. My good friends in the fire department loved that call.

For what it's worth, I mounted my electric pump above my skid plate along the frame.

Needless to say, make sure that you have a fire extinguisher handy whenever you are working on your fuel system. -- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode