VEGAS help needed (sorta on topic) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 AM
SHINTON

VEGAS help needed (sorta on topic)

Hey guys, I am looking for folks who live in Vegas area or know the area for some advice. My wife and I are gonna fly out there in June, and I just saw I can rent a Jeep Wrangler for $65 per day.

My wife and I are thinking of renting one for 1 day, maybe 2 at most, (you get 200 free miles)

So the help I need is this, what should we drive and go see on our day trip? I see tours to "red rock" canyon and other various names in SUVs. My guess is we could take the Jeep on a MILD trail as well. Are those tours on public land that we could do ourself?

(Those tours are $70 per person it appears)

What else is in the area, that we MUST SEE? (I think the Grand Canyon is pretty long ways, correct?)

I really appreciate the help, tips, suggestions on great places to eat or good prices on ????

We will be staying at the Stratosphere, and it looks like the TRAM system is a great way to get up/down the strip most of the time.

Thx again for the help.

Sam Hinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:45 AM

Re: VEGAS help needed (sorta on topic)

You don't need a Jeep for this, but go see the Hoover Dam. It's an incredible marvel of engineering. It's about 30 minutes outside of Vegas.
I believe the Grand Canyon is a couple hour drive. I took a Helicopter tour of it that was absolutely incredible.
There is also a great auto museum at the Imperial Palace on the strip here's a link from Vegas.com where my wife used to work:
http://www.vegas.com/attractions/on_...&t=stripat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Addict

The Valley of Fire is pretty cool also. It is a state park that you drive through, with several stops and scenic lookouts. No off road travel allowed, but it is absolutely beautiful.

Hoover Dam is an incredible site and I strongly encourage you to go check it out, but I thought the tour was a waste of money. Save the tour money and buy a bag of squirrel food instead. You will see what I mean when you get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM

I don't remember to many places around the area off hand. If you have a few old copies of 4 Wheel and Sport Utility, they have done some write ups on ghost towns in the area. But I would definatly get in contact with eeboater and find out who he rented from when he was in Vegas Jeeper honeymoon vacation . You might want to read that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 03:19 PM

Good luck!!! Thats all I can say... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Nah, really though I rented the Jeep from a rental agency near Stardust called Brooks Car Rental.

Their Website

I HIGHLY suggest you read the thread I wrote on my fun little Jaunt to the Grand Canyon. Jlove86CJ linked to it above and here is one too:Here

Here's 3 things I learned from renting the Wrangler from Brooks.

1. Check the air in the spare - make sure all parts needed to change tire are there before leaving the lot.

2. If the Jeep looks like a complete and udder piece of [email protected]#$, don't rent it. I can guarantee it will run that way.

3. Temperaturewise, the Jeep runs completely fine - its the maintenence of the vehicle that fails you.

If you do venture out of the Vegas general area, make sure your cell phone is completely charged.

If you can, head to the Grand Canyon. Except, go to the West Rim which is definetly driveable for a day trip. It is located on the Havasupai Indian reservation. From the research I did (since I never was able to get there) it is a lot less congested and there are less regulations because it is on the reservation. Meaning, no railings etc.. just pure unaldulterated views.

You can supposedly leave at 7am-ish, see the Grand Canyon, and return by 5:30 PM to catch a show.

Check out this link: Audio Tour for information about taking an audio tour of the ride to the West Rim of the GC.

The Grand Canyon is a once-in-a-lifetime natural wonder if you aren't fortunate enough to live out there. I'd check that out and on the way see tons of cool sights including the Joshua Tree forest and the Hoover Dam.

Just make sure that the Jeep you are renting isn't a POS.

Good luck, and let us know if you make it!!! I sure wish I did...

Sean

P.S. DON'T RENT FROM BROOKS CAR RENTAL!!! THEY ARE CHEAP BACKSTABBING UNSAFE %$&^%... I CANNOT STRESS HOW POOR OF A BUSINESS THEY RUN.

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:38 PM
TealJeep

grand canyon !!! Valley of fire, , wow there is so much for a day trip... get a good atlas and make a 100 mile circle, youll see what i mean...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 PM

Forget the jeep, get yourself a compact, drive to the hoover dam and get into a helicopter. You will see far more that way. The rides run around $30-40 per person but it is well worth it.

And stay away from the crap tables. HAHAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode