Bell housing problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Bell housing problem

I am finally getting myself ready to put together my SM465 and D300. I was getting things pulled out and cleaned up. I was taking a look at the bell housing I got with the trans and I was not pleased to find some damage on the inside of it.
It looks to me like at some point in the life of this trannie there was a clutch that totally let go. The inside of the housing is all scratched up and there are some small dents. But what really concerns me is that there is a small hole in the housing.
I am wondering if I shouldn't use this Bell housing. The hole is small, probaly a little smaller than a dime.
I really want to use this bellhousing, because I don't want to look for another one. But I am worried that with even this small hole things will get into the clutch and perhaps shorten the life of it. Am I worried for no reason ?
My plan of attack now is to JB weld the hole and forget about it. I was just wonderinf if that is safe, or am I better off fining a new one.

Kind of makes me wonder what I am going to find when I open the trannie.... I am planning a 100% rebuild anyway. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:24 AM

Re: Bell housing problem

A dime-sized hole isn't going to weaken it significantly. Get it TIG welded if you can. Otherwise JB should take care of it.

I knocked the corner off the '78 bellhousing - the area where the clutch linkage pivot bolts up. Had it welded and it's been holding for 15 years.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Jim, that is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a crack in mine on the thin side where the clutch fork comes out. Im not talking small crack here, about 8 inches long. Had it welded once and the guy told me it wouldn't hold unless he could get it from both sides. The weld didn't hold like he said and the 465 and 300 are still under there so Im going to just wait until its time to do the cluth which isn't to far off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] As long as the bell housing doesn't seem warped and it bolts up OK, no big deal. I WILL SAY, however, that the weakness of those bell housings is in the bell housing-to-tranny attachment. The bolts are threaded into the aluminum housing, and they CAN AND DO get loose. What I always do is make some nice STUDS to thread into the housing and use Lock-Tite to hold them in. Then I use fine thread nuts and lockwashers on the tranny end. I usually have to thread these special studs up myself; Std thread on one end and SAE on the other. Oh......and one other thing.......I always cut ONE SET of springs out of that 12" Borg & Beck clutch. It will work just as good, and it makes it easier to hold in when you are sitting at a red light. It also reduces the pressure on the CRANKSHAFT THRUST BEARING, which in those SB Shev-Lays isn't all that beefy. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks again for all the great info. This board is just about the best resourse for info one could ask for. I have compleatly put to bed the worry I had about using this bellhousing. Like I said the hole is very small.
I like the Idea of using fine thead bolts to hole the housing to the trans.

It is interesting to hear that you cut a spring in the clutch. I don't think I have ever heard of doing that before, however it makes really good sence. To Date I have not done any research on picking a clutch for my set up. It seems to me that there are soooo many to chose from. I have decided that I am going to use a Hydro clucth slave cyl, so I am not overly concerned with pedel effert. Mostly I want somthing very strong. I could be looking at 300+ HP.
Thanks again for the words of advise on my bellhousing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just one more vote of confidence on welding it. I busted the tab off my bellhousing where the clutch bellcrank mounts too, had a buddy ig weld it back on and it's been fine for a couple years now.

brent
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] What some of us have a tendency to fergit is that this lightweight aluminum bellhousing is CIRCULAR now and as a result it is a lot stronger PER POUND OF WEIGHT than the open-bottom design, so they will take more abuse and still work. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] When I was rodding in the late fifties and early sixties we would refer to clutches as: "100 %" if they had a spring in each pocket or as: "75% if they had springs in 3 out of the 4 pockets. YOU COULD ORDER THEM WHATEVER WAY YOU WANTED. A 100% Borg & Beck 12" clutch is A LOT of clutch; way more than a SB 350 can slip. We used to use them behind those double-rocker Chrysler 392 engines that pumped out 345 HP from the factoreeeeee, and had oodles of TORQUE. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Carefully inspect the threaded holes where the tranny bolts up to that bell housing, and if the threads out near the front of the hole look oversized from wear, make a set of studs that are long enough to go wayyyyy in there and root in the unused and unabused threads......and use Lock-Tite of course to hold them in. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] You will be so [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] when you make a setup like that. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode