Post-HEI - Do I ground Blk wire fr/IGN MOD>? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Post-HEI - Do I ground Blk wire fr/IGN MOD>?

After some horrific performance I went against sound advice to tackle "one problem at a time" and ripped everything out to the long block. Some anomolies that concerned me are as follows:

1) Apparently I neglected to do anything with the Orange, Purple, and Black wires from the Ignition Module... What would be the consequences of this bufoonery>? I'm not sure the orange and purple wires are as critical as the Black(Ground Wire That Originally Went To Distributor).

2) It would appear as though my PCV vacuum hose that was suppose to go to the Cannister PCV outlet went to the Fuel return line inlet instead, and consequently the fuel return line was plugged in where the PCV line was.

3) Other issues addressed were cracked brake booster of which I replaced with a Dual Diaghram model from an S-10, cracked exhaust manifold, of which I replaced, and my vacuum tees around the three solenoids will get straightened out although I think I wore a rut in my head from scratching it.

I'm curious about number 2 but more concerned with number 1 and would like to know if I fried my module by not hooking up this wire. Sorry so long winded. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Post-HEI - Do I ground Blk wire fr/IGN MOD>?

The orange and purple wires to/from the module are the inputs - they bring the signal from the pick-up coil in the distributor.

You said HEI - if you've put in an HEI (GM's the only HEI) distributor they are not in that distributor. The Ford module can be discarded.

The black wire on the Ford module is the ground for the module. Normally it's in the same harness as the orange/purple - goes to the Ford distributor - into the rubber feed-thru where it becomes a tang on the inside of the distributor and screwed to the inside. That connection where the black wire's crimped to that tang inside the rubber feed-thru is a huge trouble spot - especially in the mid-70's. But again, if you've gone HEI you don't need it.

If it isn't really HEI, leaving that black ground wire off won't hurt anything, it just won't run.

#2 - hook it up right.

#3 - see #2
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Way Outta Control

1. There is no reason the OEM distributor wiring can't just "hang" loose.
2. As long as there is no reason,
3. There's a chance of accidental grounding.
4. I have all the original wring intact,
5. So if I want to switch back to an OEM distributor,
6. I can do so by simply installing it.
7. I prefer to have cut wires tucked back
8. Into the wiring harness, and taped,
9. And surrounded by spiral plastic wrap.
10. It eliminates a lot of problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies... to both RRich & LEVE. Both of whom I've read numerous posts and have a seriously large amount of confidence.

I believe my HEI is hooked up right RRich... my only concerns were the three danglers previously mentioned. I wish now that I hadn't spent so much time making sure the ignition modules contacts were in pristine condition. But I suppose there are worse things to be concerned about than over-preparation.

Again... thank yee [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode