PAIN! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

PAIN!

Well I'm sitting here and it's starting to hurt.

I think I pulled a muscle in my back today trying to get the pitman arm off.

It never came off, but.. so far..

We took about a 3 foot breaker to the nut with the correct size socket, and about 200+ lbs on the end of that started the socket off.. that... was the EASY part.

Next up, the puller. Stuck the puller on there, and ran it in. Put a 400 ftlbs impact on the back of that and it turned about 1 and a half turns. That was expected.

So we got out the breaker and couldn't find the appropriate socket for it, so we broke out the crecent wrenches and started heaving on that. THen put a pipe over it and heaved some more. It started moving.. but not in a good way.

We got it about 2 turns in, this is with about 5 foot of breaker bar on it, and 150 lbs or so.. (2 people pulling.)

What we started to notice, was that we'd get about 1/8th of a turn.. and the wrecnh was bending.. not the way you'd expect it though.. but the other way.. the HARD way to bend it.

Some more tugging and pushing resulted in the crecent end opening from 3/4" to about 1" and a broken ratchet wrench. (back to sears they go [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
The whole setup was on as far as it would go. and then it wouldn't come off.
Then we broke the puller.

So it's been dumped in more penetrating juice.. and I'll give it a go on thursday..

Then I get to find out if the ZJ arm that I bought for 4" drop is going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: PAIN!

My friend Beaky Buzzard says, "Oh, no, no, no, no, no."

Put the puller on the arm and tighten the bolt with a decent length breaker bar, 15 to 18 in, no need to go overboard. Then rap the puller bolt on the head with about a 5lb small sledge a few times. If the arm doesn't pop off, tighten the bolt again and repeat as needed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:10 PM

EXACTLY as Taz stated... I pulled one off this last weekend without a "pitman arm puller" I used a crummy bargain bin three jaw puller (with hardly any lip to grap the pitman arm) but I simmply tightened it up best i could --which wasn't very tight since with a standard end wrech I could put enough tension on their to round the jaws of the puller off and it would fall of the arm)

But I would tighten it up as best I could, let it sit a few minutes and tap on the arm gently. Repeat process over and over and over.

It worked well since I was reaming the outers at the same time I had plenty of time to keep busy with the puller sitting their with tension on it and letting the PB blaster do its job.

Best part, I didn't spend 45 bucks at napa on a pitman arm puller!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Arm puller was only $12 CDN.. so what? $4 US? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I'll try that tomorrow.

Also forgot to add the other pain i have besides the pulled muscle.

When the wrench broke, the breaker bar nailed me in the knee.

It still really hurts. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:50 PM

true, a 457% markup occurs here to cover the couple bucks in freight.... no sh*t, 45 dollars and some change at my local napa for a pitman arm puller (plus 5.5% tax on that).

Back when the value of the buck was a little different, I used to love driving through canada. I could get a meal, get some gas and some food for the road, and then hand them a 20 and get change back. I don't think they (storeowner) liked it too much though.

Not the same anymore.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Were talking china brand pullers.. but for $10 it'll do about 4 pulls on OLD arms.. if you put never seez on it then there's no problem next time.

And that store clerk lived your USD..

We'd much rather have your money then ours.
Oh ya.. and he gave you a ****ty exchange rate [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:43 AM

You want PAIN??? I burned the ever living [email protected]#$ out of the roof of my mouth this past Friday. Ibuprofren doesn't work, acetomenephin doesn't work, those with three shots of rum and a beer have only taken the edge off. A good friend of mine who is a dentist, and a very compasionate person, told me "Suck it up". I was really hoping she'd have some magical solution to this. Nothing makes you feel more like a man than you eye involuntarily watering due to pain...... She did rag on me a little bit. I deserved it.

Anyway, mine was a stupid injury and I'm not proposing that food should come with warnings. It just hurts WAY, WAY more than when my wisdom teeth were pulled and I had to bitch about it. Everyone here is tired of my whining. It has even started to slough off. I like the injuries I get working on cars/trucks better, at least there was a purpose. I was just a moron in this case......

Bryan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Want me to blow on your coffee.. or do you just want a thermometer? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Quit your whining. :P

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 07:45 AM

What the others said about tighten and beat, tighten and beat. Here's the procedure:

1 Install puller
2 Tighten puller
3 If arm has come off, goto 11
4 Hammer against the side of the pitman arm boss, all the way around
5 Tighten puller
6 If arm has come off, goto 11
7 Hammer the nut on the puller as if you were trying to drive it straight up into the pitman shaft
8 Tighten puller
9 If arm has come off, goto 11
10 Goto 2
11 Have beer
12 End procedure

This oughta work!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Pooh-Bah

If it comes down to it and you can't get it off with a puller. You can cut it off with a cut off wheel as long as you are not planning on reusing the arm. I had to do this with a friend's cj 5 after breaking 4 cheapy pullers.
If you have an Autozone ( I know about the hate post a little lower) they have a rent a tool program. You essentially buy the tool for a discounted rate and they refund 100% when you bring it back. I have used them for lots of tools I only needed once or twice. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode