Erratic coolant temp guage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Erratic coolant temp guage

The factory dash coolant temp guage in my 90 YJ just started acting flakey. Shows the temp climbing up to operating temp as the Jeep warms up. Once the thermostat opens, the guage needles starts dancing around all over the place. Just started acting up the other day. Never had a problem with it before and I didn't touch anything (that I know of) to mess it up. What's up? Any common problems to look for? Thanks for any hints.

Mike

Time to go out and shovel. We're taking a pounding with the snow here in northern NJ right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 08:24 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Erratic coolant temp guage

1. Look at the sender.
2. And the connectons at the sender,
3. And of course, grounds, grounds, grounds....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Air in the system maybe? The same thing happened to my daughter's Taurus. The thing would dance all over the place after warm up. Actually it wouldn't just bounce wildly ...just surge from high to normal depending on if it was idling ..accellerating, etc.) It took me a good while to find the pinhole in the rather elaborate heater hose system that this car had (in this case a heater hose ..wasn't just a heater hose). ...... I naturally assume since this indicated a potential problem with the cooling system ...that you most assuredly checked the coolant level [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] and verified that everything was okay [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

On my TJ I changed the thermostat housing and I didn't quite get the connection on the sensor right. It clicked ...but apparently didn't click enough [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ..the guage would bounce around and then the engine would go nuts. Since you didn't mention any ...can we assume that no other operational anomolies co-exist with this condition?? I'm uncertain if your dash gets all of its input from the PCM or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I checked the coolant level and that all looks OK. The Jeeps runs OK too. Just the guage is nuts. As for air in the system I guess that could be a possibility since I removed the intake manifold a few months ago to replace the manifold gasket. However, the wild guage just started the other day. I'll check your lead and Leve's when I get a chance. Still digging out from NJ's first snow storm this winter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Good call Gary. Air in the system just may have been the cause. I had checked my radiator and coolant overflow bottle and both were good. Nonetheless, I added about a cup of coolant more directly into the intake manifold via the thermostat housing hose. Problem is now gone. Funny how it took awhile for this to show up. I had pulled the manifold a couple months ago to change the manifold-to-head gasket and I remember emptying the coolant from the manifold then. For some reason, the air pocket just started messin' with the gauge the other day. Oh well, as long as it's "fixed".

Thanks again.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode