Busted pinion - suggestions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Busted pinion - suggestions?

Last night, as I was leaving work, I decided to be a complete moron and light my tires up on the wet road. I had the clutch pretty much fully engaged when I gave it a bunch of gas. Both rear tires began to spin and then bang, it was all over. After having it towed home, and inspecting it earlier today, I've come to find I sheared off about 4-5 teeth from the pinion. The ring gear looks like it's ok, as far as having all its teeth, but is pretty well beaten. My question is should I repair it, or replace it? I know that seems pretty extreme, but I'm planning on switching to 37's next year sometime, and am now worried if my D44 can handle it. Think it was just a fluke? I might be able to get a decent deal on some gears from Randy's through my work. I believe he deals Yukon. They a good brand? The gear I have in it now are Superiors. If I upgraded, I'd probably slap a SF or FF 60 in the rear. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! And btw, I used to give people crap about burning out in a Jeep, cause its a Jeep, but now I got egg on my face!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 06:17 PM

Re: Busted pinion - suggestions?

thAT SUCKS. I'll have a spare dana 35 soon. you can have, it if you want to step up. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to have to pass. I've already got a D35 up in the front, and am waiting for that elusive D30 to put in the rear [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 PM

I have said for many years that a D44 is not strong enough to handle the rigors of rear axle duty in a hard driven Jeep. I have seen dozens of them grenade the pinion gear. That has always been my main reason for suggesting an 8.8 for a rear axle swap, if a D60 is not being swapped. I have never seen a well set up 8.8 destroy a ring or pinion gear, and I have seen the 8.8 reliably, pushed harder and longer, and under tougher conditions than I would ever trust a rear axle D44.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 10:20 PM

Oh yeah, one last thing.
I lit my tires into full smokey burnouts many time with my Ford mill pushing 300 + HP to 38" tires at the ends of my beat up old 8.8,...and I never had to be towed home. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Old Hand

Jammy,

At a minimum, you've got to get it repaired. You'll be able to sell a SOA Dana 44 for a wrangler all day long. You could run it repaired until you can put together another axle.

I just replaced the r&p in my rear axle. I fixed it, but am now seriously considering more options.

I think Randy's resells all sorts of gears under the Yukon name, but I could be wrong. I've heard of people opening the Yukon box and finding Spicer gears. I just ordered my Reverse Cut 8.8 gears from them. Their install kit was not correct and they hassled me on the return and only gave me a partial credit. They handled it poorly and I probably will avoid ordering anything from them again.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

True. That makes a lot of sense. I'll probably end up putting new gears in for now. I think I can get it done for a bit under $300 in the end. As for Randy's, I've delt with them and had good luck, so I'll probably stick with them until I get bit in the ass. Like any company, there's bound to be mix ups and some bad customer service(atleast from bad customer service reps). Also, how much you think I could get for a D44 with 4.56's and a Detroit, setup for SOA on a YJ? I'm thinking around $500+? Sound about right? I could probably slap a D60 in for that cost, but maybe not. Atleast it's make up for some of the cost.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Good points on the 8.8, but I'm not the foundest of c-clips and the weak welds on the tubes. I'm sure both can be fixed though. Some days however, I do wish I'd of maybe gone that route. Atleast I'd have an e-brake. My plan of attack will probably be finding a D60. Any opinions on SF or FF?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You BONEHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fix it and sell it if your want to go another route. A 44 with detroit has got to be worth in the 750 to 1000 range. I know i wouldnt sell one for under that if i had all good used stuff. Put it on ebay, you saw how well your tcase did. And you thought your wouldnt get anything for it.

No matter what get dana gears, stop doing burnouts [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] and you will probalby be ok.

Full floaters are really nice. If you break something its really no big deal, just pull the axles and put it in front wheel drive.

If i were to build my rears again, i would have made my 9in full floating.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode