Off Roading Forums banner

1980 258 valve cover - head changes

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TiminMb 
#1 ·
I am trying to find an aluminum valve cover to fix my oil leak problems. I did a search for the changes in '80-'81 models, all I can find is that they are "different". Does anybody know specifically what the changes were? Since all the companies offer everything but 1980 valve covers, is there a year such as 1981 that will work?

Thanks,

Covered in oil in Corvallis. . .

#2 ·
I got mine from Rosser Jeep, but have since swapped to a 4.0L. All I had to do was drill a third hole on the top of the valve cover for the necessary connections. I can take pictures of it if you want. Also, make a offer on mine if you're interested.

#4 ·
I had an 80 with a sheet metal valve cover. It used large nut/washers on the drivers side of the engine that tightened down on top of the head bolt studs.

If you straighten that cover, flatten the bolt holes, you should be able to get a good seal without a gasket and just using a quality silicone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.