cj clutch linkage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cj clutch linkage

I have a 1980 cj-5 with a spring over. I've put a 1 inch body lift on and a 1.25 inch drop transfer case kit on. this has put my clutch linkage at a crazy angle. are thier any aftermarket kits out there to fix this. I can drop the bracket on the body , but I can only drop so far b/c the frame is in the way. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 AM

Re: cj clutch linkage

When I bought my CJ-7, it had a 3" body lift. The clutch linkage that attached to the body had a lowering bracket that was nothing more than a 3" peice of 3/4" angle iron.

The problems created by the dropped tranfer case can be solved by fixing the rear drive shaft (cv) so the t/c can be raised, or switch to a hydraulic clutch. My choice would be to fix the rear end.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:57 AM

To do it right you have 2 choices: Switch to hydraulic, or re-engineer the linkage, which would be my choice.

To do the linkage you'll need to make three pieces; the bellcrank and both attachment brackets. That's because you want to preserve the ratio built into the bellcrank, but have a greater distance vertically to cover, so it needs longer arms on both ends.

Then, to remain level, it will need to be raised by 1/2 the amount of body lift, which will require repositioning the pivot points on both ends. No hill for a climber.

Somebody might make a kit, but that's the kind of detail stuff that is commonly ignored by the folks who make body lifts. It's also the kind of detail that makes the difference between a good, reliable Jeep and one that's always causing Excedrin headaches.

If I knew a little more about you, like if you live somewhere close, I might offer to help you with it.

That's a hint, son. Put some more info into your profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Or like mine was when I bought it.... a bracket extended off the body to mount the bellcrank too, an dthen extend the pushh rod coming off the pedal to the bellcrank. keep it all perpendicular and you should be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode