replacing steering box, can't remove pitman arm - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

replacing steering box, can\'t remove pitman arm

I am replace the steering box on my 86 and can't get the stock pitman arm off. I am more concerned if I am wasting my time with the old arm. I have to turn the box in for a $150 core charge so I would prefer not wreck it.

Here are my choices:

1) I also have just installed a 2.5" superlift kit and 1/2" daystar shackles. Should I be using the stock pitman arm or should I be running a drop pitman arm.

2) I have been trying to use a puller, a hammer, heat and liquid wrench. Have I damaged the arm?

3) Should I purchase a new "stock" arm?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: replacing steering box, can\'t remove pitman arm

search results 1
search results 2

why are you changing the box??
you do realize that you can get your box rebuilt BETTER than new for about $100 right?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:14 PM

Y2kmxz,
I just pulled mine of my 82CJ this weekend because I to need to replace my gear box. I just picked up a pitman arm puller from Napa. Removed the nut, put the puller on and started wrenching it. I noticed as it got harder to wrench that the puller started to bend. I then loosened up the puller and started over, but this time I would wrench on it, take the hammer and hit the pitman arm on all sides, spray a little WD40 on it and just repeat the process. After about the 4 round of wrenching and hammering the pitman arm just POPPED off. Be sure your head isnít under it when it pops.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:25 PM

Elusive,
I'm curious about rebuilding that steering box better than new. Mine leaking quite a bit, and you have peaked my interest. Can you elaborate on the rebuild?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Cerrals

gjk392 is right on, you can break the puller easily of you go too fast. Soak it with WD40, find a BFHammer and give it a smack in between turns of the puller. It seems as if all pitman arms behave this way no matter how long they have been on. I recommend leaving the nut on as long as possible to keep the arm and drag link from falling on you if it pops off unexpectedly.
With 3", you can get away with the stock pitman arm, but if you're planning on more left down the road, I wouldn't bother putting it back on.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 PM

take the liquid wrench and the wd40, and put them aside for another time. pick up a can of pb blaster. theres a reason why its twice as expensive. it works. rent a pitman arm puller while you're getting the pb blaster if you don't already have one. spray it good and let it sit for about an hour. put the puller on it and snug it up. put about 50ft lbs on the puller and stop. spray again and start rapping with the hammer. it helps to keep the hammer blows in a rythymn, as this sets up a vibration that does as much to free it up as anything. after a minute or two put a little more oomph on the puller and repeat. it will come off eventually. just take your time. squirt, tighten, make it sing....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Definitely use PB Blaster. Every day starting about a week ahead would have been good.

Try to find a puller that is the cup style that surrounds the arm on three sides rather than the cheap 2 arm style. Crank it down until it's tight and rap the puller bolt square on the end with a big hammer like you were trying to drive it through the box. It should pop loose then just keep tightening the puller until it falls off.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I pulled mine with a pitman arn puller that I rented from auto-zone, came right off.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

these guys are the steering box gurus.. i dont work for them or anything, I'm just very impressed with their product and customer service west texas offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode