New TJ shift problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

New TJ shift problem

'03 Rubicon - no lift - yet, so everything's still stock.

Occasionally when shifting from 2Hi into 4Lo the T-case lever seems to jam - gets stuck in neutral.
It doesn't feel like the lever itself, as there's still some give to it, but it becomes near impossible to go into any gear when it happens.
It especially happens when off angle - after you didn't make a hill or obstacle and need it in 4 wheel. But not all the time.
Feels like the shifter linkage is binding or possibly inside the T-case.

Is there an aftermarket "something" that addresses this? Wondering if there's an inherant shifter problem or if the tranny's shifting it's position causing a bind - like from mounts too soft.
Everything's still new, no signs of anything loose or broken either.

Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Re: New TJ shift problem

No ideas?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:25 AM
Old Hand

I dont think im going to be of much help but I have a couple of questions for you. First, is it an automatic trans. or manual? And second, sorry but i have to ask this just to be sure, are you familiar with shifting one of these transfer cases into 4wd low.

My transfer case can be a bugger to get in and out of 4wd low if its not done correctly. Otherwise it will grind like a mofo. Its usualy more difficult to get out of 4wd low than in. If I miss the gear and get it stuck in Neutral and it really becomes a pain. I do have an automatic tranny so im not sure if its the same for the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Addict

It seems to me there is a bracket that someone (Skyjacker?) sells to more the shifter mount from the body to the frame. If I remember correctly, when the Jeep is flexed up, the frame flexes and causes a bind between the shifter and the mount. Hopefully, this will jog one of the TJ experts memory and they can fill in the blanks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:44 PM

Yes, the t-case shifting problem is caused by the body-mounted shifter. Skyjacker (among others) sell a bracket (approx $55) that moves hooks the shifter on the t-case where it belongs. I have the Skyjacker bracket, and it works well. It wouldn't take much to make a bracket, however, if you're mechanically inclined.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 10:30 AM
rackdaddy

i was wondering what the warranty polocies on the rubicon are if its a 03 why not let the pro's make it right? [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, Skyjacker makes the kit, but it is designed to be used with the t-case drop in their 4" lift kit. If you were to install the bracket relocator without the drop, it would misalign your linkage.

When you are fully flexed out, your linkages will bind, regardless of whether you have the kit installed or not. You shouldn't be needing to shift in and out of 4-low and 4-high in these conditions, though. You should already be in 4-low by the time you get into the rough stuff. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

The dealers reaction: Gee, we've never heard of that, must be something wrong." "But we don't know what to fix!"
"Most folks don't drive the Rubicon off road anyway."

It's not just during flex, on a flat uphill it does it too.

I was hoping someone had an easy cure. You should be able to shift into any gear at any time no matter what the vehicle's position.

Last time it happened was on a steep but very long sandy hill. Took a run at it in 3rd Hi, backshifted to 2nd, then 1st. Ended up dug in on the hillside - on purpose so I could try crawling the rest of the way in Lo. Went to 4 LO and it jammed in Neutral - flat, not flexed, just pointing uphill. STUCK!
Took awhile, maybe 20 minutes of fiddling, but finally got it into something, then at least I could get it moving again.

Seems like there's 3 moving things involved - body, frame, and tranny, all moving independantly.
Since there doesn't seem to be an acceptable answer, guess I'll have to come up with a dual cable shifter if I keep it on the body, or move it all to the t-case itself.
A cable system wouldn't be affected by the misalignments. I was hoping there was one already.

I won't be moving the T-case down, if anything, the RE Long Arm's flat skid plate moves it up.

Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 07:36 PM
RedSandDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
when shifting from 2Hi into 4Lo

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't go from 2HI to 4LO in one shift with the 241 TC. You have to go from 2HI to 4HI and drive straight for about 20 feet, then to 2LO. Its in the owners manual somewhere (according to my dealer, not that I found it yet), but I thought I had the same thing. You also need to snap the lever into the detents between 4HI and 4LO to make sure it engages, if you miss even a LITTLE, TINY bit it drops to Neutral.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Hmmm, that makes sense.
When thinking about it, going from 2 to 4 Hi a set of splines or dogs have to engage, then going from Hi to Lo another set have to mate.
Going all the way at once and expecting everything to line up isn't reasonable.
When it happens, you can feel the linkage stretching/bending, trying to engage it. So I guess moving the linkage mount wouldn't help much.

On other t-cases the shifter won't allow the lever to go past 4 Hi until it's engaged, then it'll go all the way to 4 Lo so the problem never comes up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode