Another blown tranny mount.... WHY? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Another blown tranny mount.... WHY?

OK, this is the second tranny mount that's gone out on me since I installed the T-18. I can't figure out why.

My set-up:
304, T-18, D20, Stock Skid plate, and that's all that I can think of that would pertain to this problem.

My first tranny mount was actually a reused one from the T-150. so I wasn't all that surprised when it did collapse on itself. So, got a new one, installed it, and not a month later, it has collapsed on itself too. both of these have been rubber mounts, factory replacements.

Motor mounts apear to be fine too. Only thing i can think of that MIGHT help, then again might make things worse is a Skid plate drop. I'm running no drop right now, and maybe I'm pushing the mount into the tranny and creating too much pressure???????

thoguhts? ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Another blown tranny mount.... WHY?

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Take a close look at PARALLELISM between the surface that the tranny mount bolts to on the tranny, and the surface that it hooks to on the skidplate. Make sure you aren't using the mount to compensate for other kinds of mismatch. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Addict

Another one it that you may not have a torque mount on your tranny, the possibility for mount breakage due to torque multiplies when you get the bolts closer together, most vehicles have a torque bushing and the mounting plate is like 6-9"s, just somehting to consider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

nope an nope.. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Alread checked those.. Alignment is good, and Torque mount is good. Good pints though, keep
em comming. the tranny mount looks like it has just collapsed, like the tranny weight over powered the strength of the mount...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Mud in my Veins

Remember what Garrett Morris used to say on the old SNL skit: "Rubber breaks" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:19 AM

hey brent.........try looking at a poly trans. mount....youll feel the drivetrain vibes alot more but the poly is very very stout....you can get them from energy suspensions.

later
john [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Brent, I have the same problem. 304, T-18, Dana 20, stock skid, broken tranny mounts are a way of life for me now. I've tried a lot of different things. My next move is going to be the poly mount from energy suspensions. I've been told that will fix it for good. Right now I have 2 case hardened bolts with locktite broken off flush in my tranny where the mount goes. Steve (the head machanic at Tarheel), says to heat up the bolts w/ mapp gass and hold a candle up to them while they cool (the wax will suck up in the threads). Then cut them w/ a masonry bit to extract. Then go w/ the energy suspension mount, more travel I guess. This is also the guy that tells me how to stop breaking suspension parts by : slowing down, stacking rocks, using by-passes, getting lockers, bla, bla, bla.........
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glad to hear I'm not the only one then... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Seeing as the rubber mounts are one like a buck less than the poly, Poly it is! hope that cures it....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:40 PM

Aaron, I can't help you with the trans mount but... I might be able to help with the broken bolts. If their grade 5 or 8 you should be able to extract them easily. Center punch them and put a dimple right in the center then drill them out with a left hand drill bit. The heat caused with drilling and and the reverse rotation of the bit should back the bolts right out. If not, with the drilled hole,you canuse a LITTLE heat and your easy out to remove them. Left handed drill bits have saved my butt lots of times from broken bleeder screws to flywheel bolts. If they broke off their probably soft enough to drill out. Good luck. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

busjoe, Where is a good place to buy left handed bits?
Will the heat of drilling be enought to let the locktite loose?

They are case hardened bolts out of a Dana 44 carrier (do they get any harder than that?). I was hoping they would be tough enough to stand up to the flex and torque of a tranny. Guess not.

Brent, have you looked at after market skid plates? There are some ideas lurking around those parts too. I'm guessing that's where I'm going after I break the poly one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode