'70 Wagoneer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

\'70 Wagoneer

Ran across an old Wagoneer, fairly intact, at the Pull Your Part.I was with a buddy looking for a driveline for his kid's Chrysler and didn't bring much in tools. Anything worth looking into for my '74 CJ? Looks like an automatic with a D20. I'm going to look into the lock outs for spares tomorrow. Fender badge said "Super 350, All Wheel Drive". The gauge cluster looks like it would be cool for the dash I'm building, just to be different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:11 AM

Re: \'70 Wagoneer

OBA??? Power steering??? Axles...

Too lazy to read your profile so I am not sure what you got [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Probably the only thing of value would be the rear axle, if it is flanged and not tapered. The way to tell is if there is a big nut in the center holding the brake drum on, it's a tapered and not worth beans. If no nut, then it's flanged and a good candidate for using if you're interested in wider axles. The front axle is a Dana 27, so not sure if the hubs will work on a D-30. Buick 350 V-8 is an expensive engine to rebuild. Dana 20 xfer case has a different input spline count for an automatic transmission compared to a manual tranny setup, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:15 AM

Hate to say it, but there isn't much on that Waggy that will do anything for you. The trans will have a GM corporate bolt pattern. Will fit Buick and Olds engines but not Chevy.

The front end is a closed knuckle 27AF with drum brakes.

The rear end is probably offset.
It is not dramatic, like the ones with QuadraTrac, but it is offset about 4-6" IIRC. You have to really look to notice it. On a LWB like the Waggy that offset is workable, but on a SWB like a CJ it is enough to make your life miserable trying to get D-shaft angles to work.

On the bright side, most Waggys that vintage had trailer hitches on them, so there is probably a good 2" ball on it and a couple light bulbs you could use.
[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Probably the only thing of value would be the rear axle, if it is flanged and not tapered.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be a 30 spline flanged shaft with a 5x5-1/2 bolt pattern. I have one sitting behind my house. The TH400 to dana 20 output shaft and adapter is worth something too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Addict

Man their are a ton of great parts on that rig, the 235hp 350(buick) can be resold, the th400-dana 20 can be set up as a AMC th400 to dana 20, it probly has 3:92's making the axles worth something, you may even find a 44 in the front.......at least the carriers are worth a little, the fender badges can be re-sold on ebay and guys are always looking for those adaptor rings from th400 to buick 350's. The springs if not damaged are sought after by rock crawlers due to their spacing and the RHINO grill can be sold for some bucks on ebay or IFSJA.org. Even the radiator if its original is worht re-selling........ahhhh what else? driveshafts of course and steering column and power steering, heck maybe even the frame
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

In reply to:

"It should be a 30 spline flanged shaft with a 5x5-1/2 bolt pattern. I have one sitting behind my house."

Not necessarily. '70 was the transitional year on the tapered and flanged rear Dana 44's. Early '70's had the 19 spline two-piece tapered Dana 44, (my '70 had this). Late '70's had the 30 spline one-piece flanged Dana 44, (what I've switched to). Your's came from a late '70.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Official Historian

The build sticker in the door jam is October 1969. I don't know if that is early or late though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1204845-brother\'s jeep.JPG (31.1 KB, 2 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

In reply to:

"Man their are a ton of great parts on that rig, the 235hp 350(buick) can be resold,

<font color="red">not sure there's much of a market for that engine. They're quite expensive to rebuild. Most mainstream types think of it as a boat anchor, but there still could be some die-hard Buick fanatics out there.</font color>

the th400-dana 20 can be set up as a AMC th400 to dana 20,

<font color="red">The TH-400 is from the 60's, a Buick/Olds/Cadillac case, (BOC or "round top"). To do the AMC to D-20 xfer, you'd need an AMC case TH-400 and swap output shafts with the BOC case TH-400.</font color>

it probly has 3:92's making the axles worth something, you may even find a 44 in the front.......at least the carriers are worth a little,

<font color="red">More than likely, it has 3:31's in the diffs, not worth squat. Optional gearing was 3.73 which is okay if you're running 31" or smaller tires. If you find a D-44 in front, someone has swapped it in. The closed-knuckle D-27 front was stock. Another boat anchor. Carriers won't be worth much if D-27 front and tapered D-44 rear.</font color>

the fender badges can be re-sold on ebay and guys are always looking for those

<font color="red">If they are in descent shape with minimal pitting, then they might be worth the effort of listing on ebay.</font color>

adaptor rings from th400 to buick 350's.

<font color="red">I would think the shipping on this item would be more than any purchase price you could get for it as there is not much of a demand for them. Most people sell the adapter along with the BOC TH-400 so someone has the complete setup for a newer Buick engine, (newer than what the TH-400 was originaly designed for without adapter).</font color>

The springs if not damaged are sought after by rock crawlers due to their spacing

<font color="red">This could be, but I wasn't aware that 33 year-old springs were what serious rock crawlers were using. Again, shipping would be a biggie if you sold them</font color>

and the RHINO grill can be sold for some bucks on ebay or IFSJA.org.

<font color="red">If you're referring to to the narrow chrome grill with verticle slats, this is a prized possesion. Unfortunately, '65 or '66 was the last year that the Wagoneer had them from the factory. Lot's of FSJ people like to convert their newer grill to this one. It's possible that it might have the full-width chrome grill with verticle slats, but more than likely it'll have the more boring horizontal slat chrome grill. Regardless of which one, they could be worth a couple of bucks if in very good shape.</font color>

Even the radiator if its original is worht re-selling........ahhhh what else? driveshafts of course and steering column and power steering, heck maybe even the frame

<font color="red">I think the power steering box and maybe the steering column might be worth keeping, not sure if the other stuff has much value. Depends on how much space you have to store junk, or treasures, depending on your view.</font color> [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

In reply to:

"The build sticker in the door jam is October 1969. I don't know if that is early or late though."

<font color="red">I would bet this is an early model with tapered D-44 rear and the full width verticle slat chrome grill.</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode