OT - Elk Hunt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OT - Elk Hunt

Did not kill an elk(yet) but had a great time. My Hut area was partally burt by the "Rodeo-Chediski" fire here in Arizona.

The Elk were all down in the burnt out canyons. You could here them bugeling, but the forest service would not let us go into the burnt out areas.

I am going back next Wednesday to try again. The Game and Fish told me I could hike down into the burnt out areas and if I got one they would help me get it out. Wish me luck, my family is out of game meat.

The jeep performed very well on the hunt. It was a trial for the new JC Witney springs, 35" BFG Muds and the Megasquirt. All worked great. I got the ideas for the JCW springs and Megasquirt on this forum and can't express how well these mods worked out.

Here is a link to some photos. No Jeep action photos, just mostly family camping fun.

Last edited by 86CJ7; 03-22-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT - Elk Hunt

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] We are already gearing up for Southern Iowa Whittail season which opens the first week of December. I just got a genuine deer shotgun so I won't have to use slugs in my bird gun again this year. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] What is a Megasquirt? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:30 PM
304CJ7

Megasquirt is a fuel injection kit. Why did you get a shotgun instead of a rifle? A rifle has much better range and accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know about Iowa, but if its the same as IL then you can't hunt deer with a rifle. Its either shotgun or muzzle loader (which I suppose is a rifle). There is also a few pistol permits put out each year.....but they can't be used during shotgun season.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey, I know how that goes. I shot a real nice corn fed white tail in southern Minnesota s few years ago with my Mossberg shotgun that I took with me on the airline with no hassle (before 9/11), I even brought the deer home on the plane with a little dry ice. I also got some Phesants while I was there. I have lots of family that have farms and homes in Sprit lake, Okaboji, Worthington, etc.

The hunting is soo much different here in Arizona. I was in the pines and did not have another hunter or hunt camp withing 30 minits driving from our camp.

I have humted in many other states including Minnesota, Wyoming, etc. The hunting in Arizona is soo different.

I am going back Wednesday to try to get an Elk Wed and Thurs and hunting for Deer in the same place Fri-Sunday.

Good luck to you other hunters this season.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:15 AM

except for them big friggin eight leggid things looks like fun!! I think some hot lead would take care of those things nicely....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What is a Megasquirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go Dave.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Cool.....fuel injection. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks, guys. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] As juvn'lblade mentioned, it's short range stuff only, and EVEN AT THAT they manage to kill a few hunters each year! SHEESH! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Addict

Funny thing how the elk are drawn to the burned areas. I have some friends that were outfitters North of Yellowstone during in the '88 fire season and they experienced the same thing... all the bulls were in the burns.

I'm giving up most of my elk hunting this Fall to bow hunt hunt the family farm in a couple of weeks (Northern Illinois). Funny thing about that too... when I was a kid deer were scarce, now the farm I grew up on has the potential for B&amp;C bucks. A neighbor shot a 190 gross / 160 net buck off my Dad's place a couple of years ago.

It's been 20 years since I've hunted deer on the farm I grew up on so, needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1204798-IL Buck.jpg (91.2 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode