Crow for supper? Anyone??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Crow for supper? Anyone???

I am posting an apology, or a preventative CYA as a precursor to a ration of crap that will ensue after this post..
The story goes like this...
Several years ago, maybe 2 ?? I was in a heated debate on this bbs, as to which was better. Manual or Automatic. I was screaming at the top of my keyboard to the fact that manual trannys are the best. I had the best one available at the time, a T-18 that was a factory installed option with my 304. Not many of those made for sure. After wheeling for the past 5 years with that tranny, I was convinced that the manual is the best.
This past spring, I installed an AMC 390 and a 727 in my Kaiser M-715. I have enjoyed this combination so much, that when Steve (Greenmachine), told me his tranny and t-case were for sale, I had to have them. I bought his 727, and his 4:1 D300.
This weekend, almost 1 month later, the combination is installed and running. This was a great 41st birthday present for myself. (Damn, I'm old)
Now, I haven't seriously wheeled it yet, but the road manners are incredible, and my jeep is fun to drive again. We took it to some dirt hills today and had a blast. Burnouts are fun as well as just crawling around. I am still lacking my front driveshaft, but that is going to happen this week.
I do miss resting my arm on the shifter while adjusting my stereo, but that won't be so bad. I still want to look for a clutch pedal, and that habit will probably never go away.I think I will get along alright without those issues.
I just wanted to jump the gun before Jim (Pontiac 58) flames me too bad on this mod.
I will hopefully take the jeep somewhere soon to verify my feelings about the tranny, but so far.........

WOOOOO-HOOOOOO [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Ricky...seeya...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:35 PM

Re: Crow for supper? Anyone???

I'll Dial 91 Ricky. So when Jim reads this I will be ready to hit the last 1. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:35 PM

[img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] a slushbox!!!! EEEEE GODS!! [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] After driving nothing but manual shift stuff for YEARS, I went deer hunting in 1968 with a guy who had a 3/4T Chev-Lay with the 350/TH400 and a camper. We took it up a dry wash to the top of a mountain where we camped. All throughout the evening, we had guys stopping by asking where the new road was that we drove up. They could NOT BELIEVE we came up the wash; but we did, one rock at a time with that TH400. That sold me on automatics...EXCEPT FOR TOWING......and you could not GIVE me one for heavy towing; unless it was an Allison. We intentionally bought a CJ-7 with the auto and the QT drive for Jeepchick to drive in the snow, but our tow rig is a FS GM 3/4T with the 350/SM465/NP205/14 Bolt FF rear axle. With the two-lever transfer case/and four speed tranny combo offering EIGHT useable forward gears, I can stay alongside all but the most ultra-ultra-ultra high-powered rigs on a steep pull, and have done so many times. I never even have to THINK about an overheated gearbox. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Autos aren't fer towin' [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] We pulled one steep pass that positively COOKED a TH400 that was just ahead of us. The driver got it SO HOT that it coughed up the dipstick and the tranny fluid that it puked up caught fire and burned all the feathers off the engine and part of the heater box before we got enough fire extinguishers blasting on it....YOW! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

It doesn't matter which you have, there will always be times you'll want the other. Autos are great for the climb, but you're usually better off with the manual to crawl back down.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've always said.... IF I grow up, I'm gonna get an auto. It's too much work driving my CJ5 all day. I just hope that my auto has a nice CROWN VIC wrapped around it. I think the CJ is gonna keep a manual tranny.....(especially since the '5 is supposed to be HARD to get an auto into)

..... but you do have a COUPLE years on me..... so who knows??!!! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I can't wait to see Laurie driving that around!!!!

First the exhaust, now the auto tranny..... how long until the OBTD is installed?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:31 AM

Just remember to throw a little extra fluid In that 727 ( 1/2 to 1 quart) and that thing will keep power to wheels almost upside down. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the dark side!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

Glad to hear you got it in. I am going back to one in my TJ as soon as I get the 5.2 installed. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well, with the 4:1 T-case downhill is prtty good. I can only guess this because I slid down a hill yesterday but dragged the rear wheels. The Blazer with me came down a lot faster , and he was in 4 low. I am pretty sure since I only had 2wd, that the front will be there to help...
About the tranny oil. I got a pan from a "518" and used it. That tranny holds 2 more quarts. I welded in a drain, and a temp bung into it. Also, I used the Am$oil $ynthetic fluid. That should be a step in the right direction for heat.
The t-case got the HD Advance Adapters output shaft.
Since I don't want to repeat my previous D300 catastrophe, I'm thinking this auto should take more of the torque spikes than the manual.The torque converter absorb them????
Time will tell for sure.
Ricky...seeya...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode