Axle Swap...Couple of Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 12:09 PM
304CJ7

Axle Swap...Couple of Questions

Ive decided to swap out the axles and go SOA at the same time. First off, how much can I get for a Dana 30 2.73 Aussie Locker and an AMC 20 2.73 1pc axles Aussie Locker.

What axles would make a good strong swap. I dont want anything full width I could live with a little wider. I want something that can handle 36x12.5 TSLs and maybe eventually larger. I have good pull at a couple of Salvage/Junk Yards around my place. So now I just need to know what axles to go with. Maybe Dana 60 rear and 44 Front? 60's front and rear, or should I go with GM axles? Im just looking for some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 12:53 PM

Re: Axle Swap...Couple of Questions

I am in the middle of swapping in 44's and as much as I love this swap, I have to admit that people are probably right... 35 inches is all youll get out of a 44. (Though I ran the 35's on my 30 and only brokle u-joints...)

If you want to go bigger than 36's dana 60 up front and a 14 bolt out back.

FOr me 44's will be fine. I don't intend to go over 35's, I want to keep my jeep very streetable and anything over 35 wont be that way.

As for what your stuf is worth I am not sure. I am in the same boat, I have a dana 30 with a BRAND NEW 4.88 r+p and a rear warn full float 20, 4.88 and lockright that I have to get rid of. I have about 1500 bucks between em, but I will never get that for em.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Official Historian

I saw a dana 30 on ebay a couple weeks ago. It had a lockright, 4.10 gears and 6 bolt lockout hubs. The starting bid was $300. Nobody bid on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:07 PM
304CJ7

Say I do go with a Dana 60 and a GM 14 Bolt, I know they will have to be cut down and I have no idea how to cut down an axle. Im sure a shop would charge me an arm and a leg to do it. what vehicles could I get these axles from? I think someone on this board has a green CJ7 with 39's and I would like to talk to him but I dont know his board name. Anyone cut down an axle? Any hints or ideas? Im open to anything. I know I will have to have disc brakes and upgrade my master cylinder also. I really want to talk to the fellow jeeper so if you know who he is please get back to me. Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think someone on this board has a green CJ7 with 39's and I would like to talk to him but I dont know his board name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Madmaxx I think.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

go here for axle cutting info
Jeepdorks web page
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
know they will have to be cut down and I have no idea how to cut down an axle.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you get a 14 bolt from a cab and chassis dually (think ambulance, armored truck, bread truck etc) they are 63"wide..perfect.... then cut the front 60 down to match.. its much easier to cut a front axle than a rear.
lots of folks here have done this swap....several times..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:03 PM

If you just plan on staying with 36's then i'd say dana 44's, 60's are nice and bullet proof for 36's but will be dragging with 36's and are much heavier and more expensive. Think about the cost of running a set of waggy 44's which are about 60" wide and will only need lockers, gears and rear discs if you want them vs. 60's which will need to be narrowed and unless you have really really good connections at the junk yard they arn't cheep and take some work to find cheep. If you have a light rig on 36's dana 44's will do the trick and stand up to a fair amount of abuse.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
304CJ7

Well now yall have got me thinking. Im just not sure. How wide is a stock Jeep Wide Trac axle? I guess I will just go with 44's and if I ever want to go bigger I will swap out again. But I will probably stay with 36's then. There is a Waggy right up the road from me that has been wrecked in the front end. Its just sitting in someones front yard. I will go talk to them soon and see if they would sell the axles. I just have one question, do all waggys have 44's front and back? Im pretty sure I will know one if I see it, but i just wanna make sure. I tore a 44 apart in my old CJ5 with 31's so I just want to make sure a 44 will hold up to 36's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode