CJ7 gets a new suspension SUA front SOA rear ????s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CJ7 gets a new suspension SUA front SOA rear ????s

I am in the process of redoing my CJ7s suspension/axles. I am swapping in a set of Wagoneer axles. '78 front D44, and '84 rear Model20HD. I am going to do the front axle spring under to save some money. I don't feel like spending the money for a hi-steer setup. My plan was to build a shackle reversal using the stock Waggy front springs outboarded on my CJs frame. I will build any necessary additional lift into the reversal brackets so that the front will match the rear SOA. I plan to use some home made rear leaves based on a rear YJ spring. Does anyone see any problem in matching the two heights? Anyone have any idea how a front waggy spring compares with a rear YJ spring lift-wise? I will be using a traction bar on the rear to prevent axle wrap. Also, I was planning to use the Waggy shackles because they are shorter than my Currie's. I want flex on this rig, but I don't want it to be as tall as my Scrambler.

Later,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:09 PM

Re: CJ7 gets a new suspension SUA front SOA rear ????s

You know you could be onto something. I recently tried to sitdown and design a shackle reversal for my front dana 44, but the problem ended up being I would have to lift it too much to be able to outboard correctly, (all the while still doing SUA in the rear) so my jeep would have ended up sqautting many inches in rear.

If you were to SOA the rear, get 4-5 inches, I would almost bet you would have enough room up front to do a reversal with SUA. THe other problem I ran into was mounting the reversal up front. I don't know waggy widths offhand, but a scout 44, the shackles ended up being right on/in the frame. No go.....

If you can come up with a way to make an outboard reversal not look too goofy I think you have a good idea going.

I gave up on mine because I didn't have enough clearance for comfort. Possibly with offset shackles or something I could have done it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I had some issues with how to make the rear hanger work, but I think I figured it out. If I use the waggy shackle it will fit into a upsidedown U-shaped cup. I can weld the U-cup to the outside of the frame and run the shackle bolt all the way through the frame and cup. The centerline of the spring pads on a Waggy 44 are 2-2.25" outside of a CJ frame. The front hanger is easy. I will reverse mount the springs and slide the axles under this week to see how it looks. Then I may start making some brackets. Anyone Else??

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 02:00 PM

Thats cool, take some pics as you go along on it!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 04:28 PM

I'm SOA rear and SUA front..

except mine was unintentional.

I got a set of "lift" spring off someone when I broke a rear spring, and the rear end ended up sitting about 4" too low..

Did the SOA, and then bled about an inch or so through sagging, and REALLY shallow spring pads...

Looks almost even now.. I'm going to do the front when I get some other stuff figured out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:18 PM

Food for thought ...

IMHO Tom, it seems to me you are building trouble with the two suspensions on the wrong axes ...
SOA in back produces axel wrap and you have to build a bar which most likely will not totaly control it but SOA in front works well giving lots of flex and usually gets the contol links up and out of the way.
Shackle reversal in front produces problems with steering link crossing, dive braking, and poor geometry when trying to mount big rocks.
A setup with SOA in front with no reversal and SUA in back to eliminate wrap and produce a more stable rear will behave a lot better off-road.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Okay,

Can SOA front be done without the need for hi-steer? I have a complete SOA on my CJ8 and I wish my center of gravity were lower. Axle wrap isn't an issue with my traction bar and a 258. I already have all of the junk laying around for this idea, but it would be stupid to do all the fab and then not have it work very well. I appreciate your comments. What would you do in this situation: I am definitely swapping axles. I have to make new rear perches and outboard my front springs. I have 1 complete set of YJ springs and one complete set of G. Wagon springs. I can make any necessary shackles and brackets. I want a suspension that flexes like my CJ8 SOA w/7leaf JCW springs. I want to clear 35" tires in offroad situations. I don't want my CJ7 to be so tall.

Thanks,
Tom
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 09:51 PM

Hey Tom,

couldnt you go SOA on teh front, and just a builda cheap beefy steering linkage?

its been so long since ive mocked mine up, but I think the stock steering linkage on a wag front 44 will clear on a CJ frame...

thats my plan, Im forgoing the high steer for now.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I have the stock Wag linkage. I am going to roll the axle under tomorrow and start looking at my options. Does a shackle reversal really limit performance? I see so many rigs running them.

Later,
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:32 PM

It seems to me that high-steer raises the steering arms to compensate for the axel being lowered, and gets them back on the same plane as the pitman arm.

In that regard it doesn't make a difference how the axel was moved down. If you don't high-steer, you'll have a big down angle on the drag link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode