Tire sidewall rip susceptability? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Tire sidewall rip susceptability?

Been running BFG AT's - mainly because I have a good source on them. Good thing too - seems like I'm always ripping the sidewalls open. 35 x 12.5's on 8" rims on one vehicle, and same tire on 10" rims on another - rim width doesn't seem to make much difference - neither leave the sidewall out too far. Just running on rocky desert trails.

So the Q is: Are BGF Mud Terrains any better as far as sidewalls go?

How are Goodyear MTR's for that?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:02 PM

Re: Tire sidewall rip susceptability?

I have the 35 bfg mt (old school type) and while I havn't ripped them open yet, I did rip into a front tire pretty good. They were brand new I was almost sick at the sight of it. I just watched it close and crossed my fingers. It is still together. It seemed like it ripped pretty easy though...
Another tire on the rear, I had a leaf pack comeapart and a leaf dug into my bfgs and cut a groove about 7/16 inch deep by better than a 1/2" wide *ALL THE WAY AROUND* the circumfrence of the tire. It held air, never leaked, but I dispatched it to be my full size spare and went and bought another bfg. I can take a picture of that one if you like sometime and post it here. I was kinda amazed, and pretty pissed too, becasue there was a 170 dollar nearly ruined tire!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:11 PM

The BFG AT's and MT's are both about the same for sidewall durability,...piss poor.
The Goodyear MTR's are about the same.
Interco Swamper SSR's are the weakest of all of them.
Its to bad too, because they are all good tires as far as traction.
The best tires for sidewall protection are Swamper SX's,(and Boggers)
I have ran all of the tires mentioned, but I the SSR's are the ones that I have the most comparable recent experience with. To put it in perspective, I ran SSRs on my Jeep for 6 months, running my favorite trails, Hammers, Rubicon, Fordyce, I punctured 5 tires in that time. I have been running the same SX's for going on 3 years now, through the same trails, plus dozens of competitions,....no punctures. I have a couple of gashes in the sides of my SX's that you could almost hide your car keys in, and they hold air like if they were new.
However SX's are not a very good street ride, but depending on what you are expecting in ride quality, they are not totaly miserable either. I have about 20k road miles on my current tires from when the jeep was still streetable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:19 PM

I have always wanted swampers but I want to get some mileage out of my tires as well... How are those sx's after 20,000??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:52 PM

The SX's actually wear pretty well on a lighter vehicle such as a Jeep. I ran a set of SX's on my tow rig (F250) and they were very well worn after 25k miles.
On the other hand, they wore pretty darn good on my Jeep. I used to drive a lot of longer trips, including mountain roads such as highway 50 leading up to Lake Tahoe.
They are bias plys however so you will notice some flat spot memory in the tires if the Jeep sits in the spot for a while, its especialy noticeable for the first few miles, on cold mornings.
SX's are by no means the best street tires for a mostly street driven Jeep, but they are a GOOD street tire. They are not even at the top of the list as a competition tire, but, they are an AWSOME trail tire, both in terms of performance and outstanding durability.
Here is a pic of the tread, keep in in mind that competitions also take a big tole on tire tread from heating up the tires by smoking them before steep vertical climbs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:59 PM

I have run bias plys on pickups and yea the flat spotting is there, but you get used to it.

When I say I want my jeep streetable, I don't mean with pirrelli rain slicks, but I just meant size wise more than anything. I am running 35 bfgs now and its very streetable. I wouldn't use it to drive to town if I was running 40's or something huge though. The bfg's just don't quite give me enough traction in the goop... As far as the sx's go, I have always wanted a set but havn't ever seen anybody with them to tell if they wore as fast as the radial type.

Good news, maybe my next set of tires will be swampers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode