2100 up and running (incl. bracket pics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

2100 up and running (incl. bracket pics)

Well, after several weeks of waiting for parts, work travel and family travel, I've finally got the 2100 installed and running. I've still got some fine tuning to do and I can see the choke becoming an issue, but it's already much better. Driving home from my dad's last night, I got the Jeep up to 120 kph (75 mph), which I've never been able to do before, and it was sustaining speeds of 100-110, which I had a difficult time doing prior to this. No kickdown when I step on the gas on the highway though - will need to adjust the TV linkage to the 999.

The down side is that I did the TR upgrade and the 2100 at the same time, so I'm not sure what resulted in the performance gain.

I had a few issues to work around when it came time to doing the throttle linkage:

1. no welder, nor the skills to use one
2. automatic tranny, so converting to rear pull would cause other problems
3. didn't want to destroy any parts (carter linkage, original throttle rod, or the ball studs on any part) in case i had to go back to the original for whatever reason.

My dad came up with the idea of a pivoting bracket to change the direction. It perfectly addresses all 3 issues above.

By the way, if anyone can tell me what is so badly out of adjustment that the arm which rotates with the throttle arm (the one with the bolt in it) just flops around (see pic), it would be appreciated. Right now, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1204080-link_1.jpg (75.6 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2100 up and running (incl. bracket pics)

second pic...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1204081-link_2.jpg (73.4 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:51 AM

Looks good! Thank your Dad for being a clever engineer.

That piece of linkage you are talking about is for a push type kick-down rod in a different application. It is supposed to "just flop around". Well sort of. When the throttle lever rotates around it contacts that bolt and then it pushes the linkage. The stud on the inside that has a notch for a C-Clip is where the linkage rod attaches. The bolt is for the throttle pressure adjustment.

Glad it is all working out for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Thank your Dad for being a clever engineer

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that. He used to do all kinds of this sort of thing until he retired several years ago - he was an aircraft maintenance engineer. Said doing this was like going back, although at 2 degrees celcius outside, he said it was much warmer than the conditions he was used to working in...

Good to know I didn't miss anything with the loose arm. It was running fine, but I still had that feeling you get when you put furniture together and there's bolts left over...

Thanks, Tim for help with the plumbing, and to chasejeep7 for the pictures and the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode