Oil Mess and Syncromesh, education on tj trannys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Oil Mess and Syncromesh, education on tj trannys

Some of you may already know this, but it caught me by supprise. Aparently in 1997 jeep FSM came out with a misprint recomending gl5 lube for the ax15 tranny. I being a good jeep owner change the lube 2 times a year need it or not. So you can imagine my supprise when my syncro's started grinding. After allot of worry and conciderable research I found that the gl 5 was a misprint the lube should be a gl 3 same as the YJ's. Aparently Gl5 contains sulfer which can harm yellow metals (Syncros) I found allot of information on the Four bangers united web site supporting this. Pursuant to the information there and almost a compleete unavailability of gl3 lubes at the parts houses I had 3 choices:
Factory recomended oil, 15.00 a quart at the stealership
Redline mt90 could not even get a price on it or a carrier in my area.
or GM Syncromesh retails for 10.99 a quart I paid 6.00

I ended up choosing the syncromesh, Now my grinding is gone, and the trany actualy makes less noise.

I was not thrilled and it took a leap fo faith in the guys at the 4 bangers site, because being a GM fluid there is not allot of product information on the specifics of the oil. But so far so good. As for jeep I called the parts office, and they of course said that they were not aware of any missprints, but cofirmed that it should be gl3 although after talking to the guy I was not impressed enough to put allot of stock in what he said. But he did look it up.

Oh the mess I almost forgot. I installed a warn engine skid before the spring bash, so I had not changed my fluid since... Was I supprised [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] Oil ran everywhere, 3 catch pans and I still spilt a ton on the floor. Thank god for floor dry...

I posted this because although I read everything I can about my tj I was not well informed on this topic and it will eventualy cause my tanny a quicker than planned death. I asked the wal mart guys when I was in last week, and they said they put gl5 in the trannys, so I suspect that they are using the same false info I was...
As for the info, dont take my word for it, Research it, and post it back here so we are are enlightend...

Has anyone heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 05:37 AM

Re: Oil Mess and Syncromesh, education on tj trannys

I use Amsoil in the AX-15 in my YJ. I've got around 208,000 miles on the original tranny and it still runs quite and shifts nice. They don't list a whole lot of info on the GL3 gear oil compatibility though. My buddy is a dealer for Amsoil, I 'll see if he can find any info on that. As for the floor mess.., I got one of the Fram Quick Change oil plugs from Wal-Mart and added a longer more flexible hose. No more messy floors while changing the oil. The oil drains alot slower..., but I use that time to grease my shackles, front end or [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Good Idea, Do you ever have any problems with the drain thingie,, I always afraid I would break it off and have oil all over the place.

Would like to know more about the Amsoil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I use the Red Line synthetics in the boxes on my FS GM ultra-hvy-duty 3/4T 4 X 4 and what I have found is that Redline is so slippery that the synchromesh elements don't want to "wring in" and work as well as they would with the recommended lube. It is no big deal to me since I normally shift without using the clutch anyway, but it CAN be mistaken for a synchro problem if you don't know what's going on. I realize that the problem you spoke of has to do with material COMPATABILITY, but I thought I would mention it just the same as long as we were on the subject of lube and trannys. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You made mention of a real garage floor mess.......well, I can relate! I recently pulled the plug on the gearcase of a '52 John Deere we bought not long ago, expecting a "gloog" and a "glug" of gear oil. Instead of seven gallons of 90W I got TEN GALLONS of some low-viscosity brown stuff that made a horizontal fan spray; overwhelmed my catchment setup; and left a lake under the tractor. It apparently was CONDENSATE WATER that had accumulated since the EISENHOWER ADMINISTRATION. Strangely enough...the tractor no longer leaks oil out of the axles now that it is no longer THREE GALLONS TOO FULL. As the water accumulated it floated the oil out the ends of the axles. YOW! What a mess that was! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:38 PM

Still haven't heard back about the Amsoil.. will keep checking though. I have had good luck with the Quick Drain plugs. I put one on my YJ and one on my wife's ZJ about a year and a half ago and have had no issues since. They only stick out about an inch from the pan, and they don't really hang down at all. I have no skid plate on my YJ, and have yet to break it. Some guys have used these oil drain valve but the ones from Wal-Mart are cheaper and found locally. I don't like the on/off handle on the Fumoto Valve thing...., I fear it would vibrate open or something. With the Fram plug, I don't have to worry about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode