Heresy...TJ headlights on YJ! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:38 PM
SHINTON

Heresy...TJ headlights on YJ!

Ok, I may get [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] here but wanted to see who might have done this? Essentially, I am looking for the TJ front grill and round headlight look.

So my question/thoughts are how can I do this? I know, your first question is probably why? Well, as the saying goes, if momma aint happy.... heh heh. Just bought a YJ this week, mostly cuz it has everything I wanted (lifted, d44 / 9", detroits, 4.56s, etc etc)

While looking, my wife fell in love with the TJs and I told her I could probably convert a YJ to look like a TJ if all else fails. (TJs were much higher $$$ than YJs to lift, mods, etc) I was leaning YJ the whole time and could care less about the headlights! So leave me alone! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So...again, my thoughts on how to do this. (I dont mind fabrication, etc, just rebuilt a GMC Jimmy, and I can do welding, fabrication, etc as nescessary.)

Option 1: Buy a TJ grill....ok, but how close does it come to fitting the YJ space for a grill? I betcha the hood on a TJ is different too. So IF, I buy a TJ hood, is it the same width in the REAR as a YJ hood? Anyone know? So, replace hood and grill, mod fenders to fit?

Option 2: Buy a CJ grill....ok, that gets me round headlights that protrude, then I try and adapt TJ recessed headlights in the same hole, hoping of course they are the same size approx. Any other major diff betw CJ and TJ grills? (Recess the turn signals for more TJ look?)

Option 3: Essentially, weld in the current square headlights with new metal and then cut a circle back out for TJ lights?

I could really use your help/links, etc. Sorry to offend any YJ purists! I swear, other than the FORD axles, Aftermarket driveshafts, aftermarket springs and Jasper 258 motor, the rest is still an original YJ! LOL...boy that doesn't leave much huh!!!

TIA

Sam...YJ hybrid...Hinton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 01:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Heresy...TJ headlights on YJ!

Here's a pic of a CJ style tub with a YJ hood and an TJ grille and fenders. Came from the JP Offroad website. Check out their other pics. I talked with them and they said it all fit together pretty good, just a little gap at the corners of the hood, by the grille.
JP Photo Album
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 01:40 PM
SHINTON

WOW, that looks sharp! After seeing that I called a local junkyard, $160 per fender (new) and they don't have any grills...hmm, guess I am gonna be haunting ebay for those!

Glad to see the link, may bug them for a couple details!

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 01:55 PM

hey sam this is john (black tj) friends with brent and caver.......a buddy of mine might be able to get you some new fenders and grill pretty cheap......pm me if you want his number.....congrand on the good find........ [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

later
john
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 02:43 PM
SHINTON

John! Yeah man, keep the ear out for the TJ fenders and grill for me, I could use em! You can email me direct at [email protected]

(Looking at that pic again, are you sure that is not just a TJ? Coils in the front...etc?) Looks durn good for sure!

Sam
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

It's gotta be a TJ. Didn't they all come with a "stock" Ford 9" up front [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:01 PM
SHINTON

Hey, look, it is the one other Jeep that is uglier than mine according to my wife! [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Ok..yeah, didnt look past the coils, saw semi round and didnt look closer, thinkin d35 for whatever reason.

Thx again to everyone for the help here, I will post a writeup as I do this for reference to others!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:36 PM

I got a tj grill with turn signals recessed into the grill and no headlight bezils for sale, has 1 dent in the upper part, painted ford blue $50+ shipping and it's yours.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:08 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I suggest the CJ route. This is common and the parts willprobably be easier to find (used). CJ hood, fenders, and grill.... modify the headlights like you want and your done. I'm partial to the classic CJ look. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 07:29 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
with a "stock" Ford 9" up front

[/ QUOTE ]

learn to read Caver Dave.....D44 front 9" rear [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....hahahahahaha.just busting your balls [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

hey sam i takled to my bud and he said just to give him a call and he will see if you guys can work something [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

later
john [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode