Off Roading Forums banner

Required Upgrades

392 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  davenjeip 
G
#1 ·
Hey All,

I'm new to the Jeep world, and have just purchased a stock 99 TJ.

What are the recommended upgrades / modifications and in what order of priority?

(Generally planning on street use, with some sumemr 4x4.)

#2 ·
!!!!!!!dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

wheel it like it is for awhile and enjoy it
.....once you start adding lift, tires, cage, ect. your never happy, and always have things to fix or change......

but first get 3-4"s of lift, 32-33" tires, slip yoke elim. and have fun....after that you can go crazy with gears, lockers, winches, bumpers, ect....but just have fun like it is now

o yea, fill out your bio so we know what kind of rig you have...

later
john

#5 ·
I'll throw another vote in for just enjoying it every step of the way, stock or not.

Just remember that the more you do to your rig, the more precautions you'll have to take, ie: major engine mods, you may want to think about a fire extinguisher, or recovery capabilities like front and rear tow hooks, etc.

It's all in what you want to do!

#7 ·
as far as absolutely required, i would say

1. front and rear tow points
2. fire extinguisher
3. familiarize yourself with methods of disabling the airbags

suggested for added safety/convenience

1. cage upgrade
2. cb

G
#9 ·
Make sure you have tow hooks, a full size spare, and a tow strap to keep in it. Then ad a cb. Just wheel it like it is. Your Jeep will tell you what it needs to fit your style and conditions. I'm wheeling mine stock and can tell you that my list of "wants" is not even close to the list I had before I wheeled it. I'm looking to start adding skids and tires (based on a rock tearing into my stock tire yesterday). It's a Jeep. It will do so much more than you would be led to believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.