Cadillac air compressor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Cadillac air compressor

A friend of mine has been screwing around with a Cadillac air compressor, the type that works the air ride suspension.
He cut the output nipple off at the head to about 1/8", tapped it to 1/4" pipe. He then installed a 1/4" to 1/8" pipe bushing into it because he had lots of 1/8" parts. To the bushing he installed an 1/8" Schrader valve to prevent back pressure.The Schrader vavle seems to be the key.Then an adjustable pressure valve to maintain correct press. in his 2 gal. tank.
It's pumping up to 90 p.s.i. in about 1.5 minutes. Junkyard price is $10 and you'll find them in Lincolns and other large luxury cars. May be a good back-up or primary air source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Old Hand

Re: Cadillac air compressor

Just so happens, I have one sitting in my garage right now. I doubted I was going to get enough air out of it, and stumbled accross a York for $5 at a swap meet. Maybe someone else will be able to get some use out of it, or maybe I could make a portable compressor out of it...hmmmm...12V cigarette lighter cord and an air tank.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM
BMB
Veteran

There were probably about a half dozen or more the last time I was at Pull a Part. I was going to get one and do a little experimenting with it, but they have them priced more than a York. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I haven't heard, but are they capable of continuous operation?

BMB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:52 PM

My $.02 HERE.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried them with the Schrader valve or any other type of one way valve? My buddy's compressor is working real good for being in the proto-type phase. Apparently that little cylinder clipped on the compressor is a one way valve of some sort. Back pressure hinders the compressor and the one way valve and a tank provide the pressure and the volume. The pressure valve he is running is set at 35 low and 90 hi. It's loaded up in less than 2 minutes. The piston is small but not in comparison to the cheapo units with the cig lighter plug.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:43 AM

They do work. Did you read my link? I have played with all kinds of them in different ways. I'm stating that they are just about a toy. Less usefull than an ARB compressor, way less than a quickair compressor, and not even a pimple on the behind of a york. (remember that these take 5 plus minutes to raise the car from bottom to top on 4 bags that are less than .5 CF each and run at low air pressure)
If you like, I can test the CFM of one. I bet it's not much. And while it's not a pressure thing.......I wonder how many days it would take to do my queen size, double sided air mattress with it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Takes about 12 min. with mine. I would also like to see my 1/2" drive impact run on that setup. Works fine on mine.
I'm not trying to run down what you're saying or what your buddy has done.....I'm just saying it's no where close to a real OBA setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode