to purchase or not to purchase - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:40 PM
steety14

to purchase or not to purchase

hey guys i found a 94 wranglers with a 4 cylinder and 5 spd for abut 4400. its got decent miles one it. i like the way it looks but im sure i would put a 2.5 inch lift on it or more and prob 32s. i kno people say that the 4 cylinder is weak but im moslty gonna b doin some trails and mayb some small mud holes/ nothin big. do u think the 4 cylinder would b ok with 32s or bigger? or should i go smaller than 32's? and will i b happy with its perfomance on trails as well as on the road (highways are what i am worried about) can u guys give me your opinions and suggestions

p.s. how much does it cost to have ur axle gears swapped?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: to purchase or not to purchase

You'll be fine off-road, but on the highway, I think you will not be pleased.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:19 AM

I'll second that opinion. I have a '92 YJ with the 2.5L and 31's, it is ok on the highway, if you don't ever want to go over 65 MPH.

I am planning on doing the 4.0L throttle body swap with a 4.0L TB spacer. I've read many places that if you do this, and match the hole in the manifold to the spacer, it will allow you to run 33's with stock gearing on the highways with speeds up to 75 MPH. The dyno resulst were something like 24 horsepower increase and 39% airflow increase. Cheap fix if you ask me. Used throttle body from a junkyard is around $50, and a smooth bore spacer can be had for about the same. Then just a little time and some dremel / die grinder work to the intake manifold. Check this out for the complete thing.

Hint: If you do this swap, get a TB spacer with a smooth bore in it instead of the kind that Poweraid sells with the "Helix" design. This design actually protrudes into the flow right after the throttle body and slows air flow. It's been dyno'ed, and actually creates about 2-3 HP because of the cooling you get from the rise of the spacer, but you get less air flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree. You can gear the axles down to get the results you want off road, but the engine will be screeming down the highway. I had a pro put my gears and ARB's in both my axles and it was about $400 for labor. That might be high, as we don't have a large selection of auto repair places/4wd shops where I live. Gears are about $100-150 per axle and master install kits (bearings, shims etc) are about $75-100 each.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:56 AM

Check for rust! Be prepared to spend money!.....It's a Jeep thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode