TF 999 problems... Heeeeeelllllp..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

TF 999 problems... Heeeeeelllllp.....

Came home from work this evening (and also drove it lunch time) and the Jip is shifting fine.

Just popped out to pick up a few pints of milk from the garage and noticed that it won't shift any further than 2nd gear. Then all of a sudden it seems to shift but loses drive (like putting the box in neutral). Only when slowing down, it will pick up 2nd gear again....

Autoboxes is the one thing I don't know much about. I have got the ATSG manual but the diagnostics chart doesn't mention losing just the one gear...

I must say that I haven't been able to check anything yet as it was about 23.30 when it happened and I live out in the sticks (pitch dark).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: TF 999 problems... Heeeeeelllllp.....

1. Rene, you're correct, it's hard too loose only one gear, as
2. The clutches handle more than one gear...
3. How about the modulator pistons?
4. Or a dirty valve body.
5. I'd flush the valve body,
6. And then test the clutches with compressed air,
7. As described in the ASTG Manual, page 11...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I mean I haven't checked anything yet but this couldn't be as simple as low on fluid, could it??

Anything more involved will have to wait till the weekend as by the time I come home from work it starts to get dark...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Low fluid can do funny things, as
2. There's different pressures developed,
3. To actuate different clutch,
4. But the clutches seem to work...
5. So, in my mind that brings it back to the vavle body,
6. Ruling out the clutches, torque converter, pump, fluid and filter.
7. But I've been wrong before....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I'l check the level tomorrow but haven't seen any leaks whatsoever but then again I haven't checked it since I changed the fluid and filter two years ago [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

If that is ok I'll have to pull the pan over the weekend...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Official Historian

I'll share an experience with my TH400 in my CJ7. I was driving one evening about 35 mph when the jeep downshifted to second. A little later, it downshifted to first. It would not upshift. About a mile after the first incident, I finally got to a lighted gas station and it was barely transfering power to the wheels. Discovered one of my cooler lines came loose. So maybe the TF transmissions are similar, low fluid, no upshifting.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, I just checked the atf fluid and it was on the "add a pint" mark. Topped it up and it didn't make a difference.

But now, I don't think it is actually losing drive in third but it goes first, second and when you ease of the throttle and expect it to go in third, it seems to shift back to first and at higher speeds feels like you are losing drive. When it does this and you floor the throttle you can feel it engaging at high revs and it subsequently shifts to second again for it to lose drive again i.e. shifting back to first....

I'll have to look at this over the weekend but any more suggestions are welcome.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Rene, is it "slipping" in third?
2. Is the fluid darkened with clutch material?
3. Does it smell burned?
4. It may be time for a rebuild...
5. Let me know, I'll pick up a NAPA kit and send it to you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Are you sure you don't just have a throttle position cable out of adjustment. What you're sorta describing is WOT type response from the trans. That is, late up shifts.

The adjustment is supposed to be such that the linkage on the trans mirrors the throttle linkage (as in mid-way throttle ...midway ..trans). Not enough line pressure (what you're actually adjusting) and you'll have a early disengagment of first and a late engagement of second ...early second disengagement ...late third engagement. It almost acts like you would think a loose band adjustment would act ..but it's not. Too much line pressure and you shift somewhat normally ...but later (as in higher speeds).

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Larry,

No it is not slipping in third. As I said, I thought that I was losing drive in third but I've now confirmed my second diagnosis.

I drove the Jip with the selector in 2nd so it would not go into third gear and exactly the same happens.

From standing still it accellerates from first to second (fairly normal although sometimes it seems to hold on to first too long to my liking before it shifts to second. I am accellerating normally, not flooring the throttle). When in second gear and ease off the throttle slightly (which would normally persuade the gearbox to shift into third but can't at this time as I've got the selector in 2nd) it shifts back to first which at this speed (around 30-40 mph) feels like the engine is free reving. I also notice that at this speed it sometimes hunts between first and second.

When the shift back to first occurs at 30-40 mph I almost have to come to a standstill to get a response from the gearbox again i.e. I can't get it to go into second unless I accellerate from (more or less) standstill again. It will only shift into second and hold on to it as long as I don't let off the throttle.

This is the first time in 21 years that I wish I had a manual box... At least I understand how they work and therefore a lot easier to diagnose faults... But then again I've never had a problem with autoboxes in all the Jeeps I've owned, hence my lack of knowledge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode