Headers/mufflers for 304 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Headers/mufflers for 304

Well I've got a hole about as big around as my pinky on my right header right were the 4 collect. It is making it a little louder than I'd like. A few questions......

1. Does this hole affect my performance any?
2. If I were to rake up the cash to buy new headers what is best?
3. I see some advertised as being inside the frame.....what does this mean exactly? I'm guessing it means the exhaust is between the frame rails and not literally inside the frame. Is that right?
4. I think I have fenderwell now that go to cherry bombs which dump in front of my rear tires. Its a little louder than I'd normally prefer so what is quieter?
5. How hard is it to change exhaust? I'm guessing its not much more involved than unbolting the old and attaching the new. Or am I way off here?
6. Any recomendations from the peanut gallery, and any idea who's got the best deals on a full system?

I'm starting to tell myself that I'll just put enough $$ into this thing to make it a reliable and safe daily driver and keep it instead of selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Re: Headers/mufflers for 304

Ive got a spare set of Heddman headers I would sell for 25 bucks plus shipping. If you want I could probably snap a picture and email it to you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Veteran

Nick,

depends on what you are looking for. if you can find som stock manifolds and run them with a decent 2.25 dual exhaust and some nice flowmasters you'll probably notice a little better low end than what you have with the headers. this may be a bit more money than what you're looking for though. the headers are probably the cheaper and easier route. the in-frame headers will run inside of the rails as you thought. the cherry bombs or any other glasspack is going to be loud. you could always run an inframe straight back to a small turbo like a thrush (they're about $20 a piece) and tuck it up nice and tight to keep clearance good. or of course you caould keep the fenderwells and go for a purple horny or other header muffler type glasspack. though like i said you will probably notice a little better low end with the stock manifolds and a quality exhaust. i have a guy who is going to run mine for me when i get the 360 done. he quoted me $300 to run manifold back with duals (no crossover) 2.25" to two 40 series flowmasters tucked up nice and tight and out the back (i already had the manifolds though.)

-web [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Journeyman

First, my shot at your questions:

1. No effect on performance AFAIK, just noisier
2. I have had a good experience with Hedman Headers
3. As stated already in frame means 'tween the rails
4. I did my own in frame to dynomax super turbo, much quieter than the fenderwells and cherry bombs I used to have.
5. I did my own over a couple of weeks part time, no welding, lotsa crawling around.
6. No help on best deal, sorry

I have a 304 with Hedman in frame headers going to dynomax super turbos. I did the work myself and probably have about $300 in it. Here is a link to my questions and some pics of the system my rube goldberg . My goal was to do something on the cheap to get my rig road ready, and so far, so good. I have heard that the clamps etc. will loosen over time, but so far it is holding. No emissions in FL, so no Cat(s) either, but I could have added them for the cost of the Cat(s).

Sound is more than a stock setup, but is 90% quieter than the cherry bombs [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If you would like some more specifics or Pics of other parts of the system, let me know.

Good Luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:46 AM

irjpr i will take those headers from ya figure out the shipping to zipcode 12884 and let me know i need them bad my passenger side broke off and the driver side is very close to breaking
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 12:57 PM

sure thing, first I have to round up a box to fit em in. I will have to ship them via USPS, parcel post (so it will take like two weeks to get there) Priority mail would probably run you like 40 bucks, but parcel post should only be about 10-15. Let me see what I can find to put them in and I will get you a quote.

PM me so I can get ahold of you when I get em packaged.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Can't Get Enough

I wouldn't worry about finding a box. Just wire a tag with the address and tape one on them to and ship them!!! I shipped four leaf springs that way through the post office... They didn't mind a but!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode