Trans/Transfer Case Removal ??'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Trans/Transfer Case Removal ??\'s

So far in my axle/trans/t-case swap i've yanked the rear end, front and rear driveshafts, skidplate, etc, etc.

Is there anything in particular i need to look out for while pulling the trans/t-case? It's a Ba 10/5 231 combo. How many bellhousing bolts are there? I've heard talk of the uppermost 2 being reverse torx bolts? Is that true? I'd look but I'ts dark and poorly lit in the garage at night. Any other pointers? I'm doing this with the use of 2 hydraulic floor jacks... is that sufficient?

Thanks,
Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: Trans/Transfer Case Removal ??\'s

btt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 11:23 PM

Re: Trans/Transfer Case Removal ??\'s

On my 92 the top two are reverse torx bolts. I got a set of reverse torx sockets at autozone pretty cheap.

There's some other stuff to disconnect first: There's the vacuum lines on the transfer case,the speedo cable/sensor, the reverse light switch connector on the transmission, the shifters for both, the transfer case vent line, and the clutch slave cylinder line.

If I remember right there are nine bolts you need to yank to get the tranny down, and six hold the xfer case to the back of the trans.

Pull the transfer case first; get some help with the trans. I jockied mine in and out by myself, and while it isn't impossible, it isn't much fun, either.

I learned all this while installing a new clutch,rebuilt AX-15, SYE'd transfer case, Tom Woods CV driveshaft, Exploder 8.8 w/4.10s, D-30 w/4.10's, boomerang shackles front and back, sliplock front track bar, swaybar discos, and more stuff that I can't remember right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode