Spark Plug wires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Spark Plug wires

How often should you replace your plug wires? This is my daily driver, about 125 miles a week, mostly freeway. I have the Mopar MPI on my 258. I'm sure it's due, but I'm just wondering for future reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 08:48 PM

Re: Spark Plug wires

Haynes says to "inspect" them every 30K or 24 months, along with cap & rotor. You're looking for anything that obviously shouldn't be there (physical damage, etc), as well as corrosion on the connections...Also, check the resistance of the wires...should be in the neighbourhood of X ohms/foot of wire, though i can't remember what X should be...if yours are old and you're doing a major tuneup, i'd put new ones in anyway...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I figured they were due since I think the wires are the ones that came with the MPI conversion kit. Do the "high performance" wires make any difference or do they just cost more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 02:15 PM

The "high performance" wires are usually larger (like 8mm) or offer lower resistance values and usually both.

The theory is that with a larger conductor and less resistance, you'll get more energy to the spark plugs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 02:26 PM

I went with the Bosch premium wires when I did the TR upgrade. Unfortunately, I did the MC2100 swap at the same time, then went to visit the out-laws for thanksgiving last week, and haven't finished the throttle bracket, so i can't really tell if they make any difference. But i figured that if i was spending about $150 on an upgrade, why cheap out on the wires to save $10-15? For the small additional cost, they can't do any harm.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Dex
Old Hand

i just got my cj5 back home, from total rebuild and wires end to end thanks to DAD , its 350 chevy built , 69 block and 70 double hump heads, 500 cfm 2 brl, does anyone know the right plug i need ? its changed over to MSD HEI distributor,i like to have AUTOLITE'S , but im fouling the AC's thats in engine now, '70 gap is .035 but im thinking i need bigger gap plug and hotter range??? dont hei need .045 - .060 gap on a chevy?
the foul is comming from plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode