Rebuild T-15 or relpace with T-18??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Rebuild T-15 or relpace with T-18???

My T-15 is sounding a bit noisy at cruise (from 45 up) Kind of a ratchety noise that happens when I am crusing (not accelerating or decelerating) if accel or decel, sounds ok, except when slowing down from anything over 40 I get this sound of the ratchety winding down as I stop. Sounds like a bearing to me. I feel like it must be somewhere on the output side, since 2k rpm does not cause this sound in lower gears (2k is about where 40mph is in 3rd). Could even be Tcase <shrug>?

Gears shift fine, Tcase hits 4H 2H and 2LO fine.

I have swapped gear oil in Trans and Tcase (twice). Bench Rebuild on T15 and Tcase is $650. I can get a rebuilt T-18A with granny low for $1250. Of course, with the T-18 I have to change drive shaft lengths as well for about another $200. I like the idea of a granny low but I could use that $800 for top and paint job if rebuild is a lot less. I could also rebuild myself I guess, but I just don't feel up to it. My "jeep time" is just too fragmented to do something like a Transmission rebuild.

Ideas, Suggestions, and Smart Aleck remarks appreciated .
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 04:08 PM

Re: Rebuild T-15 or relpace with T-18???

yea, t-150 is stout, I will give it that. But when it dies (and believe me it will....) get a t-18. I havn't bought the shafts for my jeep yet, because I did the tranny and I am also doing scout 44's at the same time, so I only want to buy shafts once! Other than shafts, you can do the swap in about 8 hours. (This includes not having all the right parts, like a torque arm, busting off some skidplate bolts and putting the thing back in with no engine to reference position, and doing it outside in the rain with no garage to work out of!!)

Its and easy swap! Plus the low end will be killer!! Except I am losing my 4.88's for 3.07's in the scout axles, but can't win em all I guess!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rebuild T-15 or relpace with T-18???

The noise sounds to me like it may be more likely the t-case than the tranny. (of course I'm just guessing) I'd make sure it was the tranny before I replaced it.

Partsmike has rebuilt T-18's for most any engine transfer application, for the price you quoted. That will save you the $200 for converting, and you have the right bellhousing already.

If you're willing to do the $200 T-18 input shaft conversion then you should just rebuild. Either your T-15 or a cheaper used T-18. It's incredible how easy these trannys are to rebuild.

Just 2 more cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode