OT ~ Remington .22 Pump Action, How much $ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

OT ~ Remington .22 Pump Action, How much $

I've got a 12-13 year old Remington pump action .22LR rifle. My dad wants to buy it from me and give it to my nephew for Christmas since I've got a new Ruger 10/22. The old Remington has maybe had 500 rounds through it. I haven't shot it once in the last 6 years either. I'm not sure which model it is, but Remington lists only (1) pump action on their website and its MSRP is $407. I haven't a clue what it's worth really. Anyone got any ideas what it might be worth so I can give him a good deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 02:11 PM

Re: OT ~ Remington .22 Pump Action, How much $

id have to go with the $150-200 range......those .22's are a pretty common rifle.....

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]later
john
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

That's about what I was thinking, I guess I just needed a verification. Probably go more towards the $150 since I am selling to my old man, and it's going for a good cause.

hhhhhmmmmmmm I think I smell a new 4.0L TB and TB spacer in my near future! And if it's cheap enough, a new 2.5L intake manifold to have machined out to match the TB spacer. That way I can have it all ready to go for a weekend swap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:27 AM
huntr1

Since it is to introduce another family member to the shooting sports, I would just GIVE it to him. Plus, no point in having a gun and not shooting it when another family member could be putting it to use. That is what I did this past Christmas. November of 2001 I won a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 w/ scope, hard case, whole 9 yards. Used it 2 seasons and then dropped out of my hunt club (why pay $300+ and drive 3 hours to hunt, when I can hunt for free 10 minutes from home?). When I won the gun, my brother in law mentioned that he wanted to get one just like it. Since the area where I now hunt is shotgun only, and I have other rifles, I no longer had a need for the Remington. My brother in law had a need for it. I gave it to him, along with about 6 boxes of ammo. The only conditions are that (1) if I ever get rifle property again, I get it back (2) he is not allowed to do any permanent modifications (3) he is not allowed to sell it (4) it comes back to me when he no longer uses it. He saved $600 +, and I got loads of good will from my sister. Gun only cost me $40 worth of raffle tickets, and I can get it back whenever I need it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

That's what I originally told my dad. I told him to just have itm give it to him, whatever he wants to do with it since I never use it. But he wouldn;t have anythign to do with that. It's a good gun for a beginner kid who has very little understanding supervision.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:43 AM

"It's a good gun for a beginner kid who has very little understanding supervision. "

Could you explain what you meant?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Journeyman

I agree, it is your dad, give him the gun. If he won't let you, just tell him that you will give it to your nephew then.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:04 AM
huntr1

If he won't take it for free, sell it for $1.00.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
beginner kid who has very little understanding supervision

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?! I'm not so sure I am real comfortable w/ that statement.

ANY/ALL "kids" need close supervision (by knowledgable/responsible adult) in the handling/use of firearms; especially when they are a "beginner kid". Once anyone has consistently demonstrated reliable judgment in the SAFE handling and use of firearms, then they can be given additional responsibility. Turning a kid loose w/ a firearm - whether it is a .22 single shot or an Uzi - has just created a situation where a catastrophe is but a whisker away from occurring.

Additionally, a 'repeating' rifle is not the optimal learning gun - a single shot is. The beginning shooter needs to learn the safe gunhandling and fundamental markmanship skills FIRST... before he is given the luxury of quick follow-up shots.

Sorry... but none of us are going to have any guns left (legally) if we turn our young'uns loose with the guns that we do retain. It's our duty as adults to teach our young people safety and responsibility.

My three boys have been shooting .22's since they could figure out how to manipulate the trigger (around age two). But they don't even touch their rifles unless mom or dad is present. (Heck, I think my soon-to-be four year old recites basic safe gun handling rules better than I do! Last Saturday that same boy consistently hit a clay target at 25 feet with a rifle - completely unassisted... but supervised VERY closely! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

R/

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

ok, let me explain the whole story a lil more, so y'alls not skeered of getting shot by this kid someday.

My dad promised my nephew when he was 5 years old that he would buy him a BB Gun when he turned eight. Well, marriage went bad, divorce happened, they moved, and my dad plain out forgot. The kid is now 12 and apparently has a good memory 'cuz he reminded my dad a few weeks ago about the whole deal.

Now my sister is somewhat savvy with guns since she grew up around them and went shooting with me and my dad all the time (great family activity I think, and a great way to educate at a young age). Anyway, she is now re-married to a good guy, but he is not too knowledgable when it comes to guns. Knowing this, my dad called the two of them the other day annd asked them if it would be alright to buy him a gun on one condition. They agreed it would be fine. The condition is that the three of them have to take and pass a certified Hunter's Safety training course. My dad even agreed to pay for the class. Now, I am not too familiar with the state of Washington's Hunter Safety Program, but the one I took in Idaho was great. It was more of a Gun Safety Class than a Hunter's Safety class. Probably 75%-80% of the class was about Gun Safety rather than hunting safety.

Now, the kid has been shooting guns with me and my day for as long as I can remember, before he was 5. He has been very closely supervised, and I think he is rather knowledgable with them. What I was referring to when I say "Beginner" did not mean that this was his first time shooting a gun, but rather it was his first time owning a gun.

Being that they live so far away, and not being able to be ther all the time, he wanted to make sure they would be safe. That's why he is making them take a safety course. I agree that it is our responsibility to teach the younger generations about these safeties.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Turning a kid loose w/ a firearm - whether it is a .22 single shot or an Uzi - has just created a situation where a catastrophe is but a whisker away from occurring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this really applies to just "kids." I know way too many adults that are this way. I've left a "friend" in the mountains to find his way home before because he wouldn't follow a safe hunting practice in my vehicle. He insisted that it was OK to have a bullet in the chamber with the safety on while we were driving. I told him that it was my vehicle, and I wasn't going to allow it. Really now, how long does it take to chamber a bullet if you happen to see the "BIG ONE", while driving down the road? It ain't worth it to me. Besides, if I don't get him, it gives me a reason to go back!

As for the price, I told him the first time that I would just give it to him to give to my nephew, but he wouldn't have it that way. He said the only way he would take it is if he paid a fair price for it. I told him that he should find out a fair price, and I would too, then we would discuss it. If he tries to pay me even half what it's worth, I'll pass! Just can't do that to my family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode