Hand throttle question for those who have one. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Hand throttle question for those who have one.

Well since I'm home for the weekend and we're packing up our house I've decided to pillage my moms old 10 speed bike with the big lever shifter thingys. I'd like to use one as a hand throttle and get it rigged before the Badlands coming up but I've got a few questions....

1. The cable doesn't have a sleeve going the whole length....the sleeve goes from the start, to the tube it attaches on, has no sleeve until towards the end of the tube, and then sleeved again. Now assuming that makes any sense to you my question is do I need a cable that has a sleeve the whole length? If so where can I find that? Would some small tubing work ya think?

2. What do I put on the end of the cable to hook it up to the throttle on my carb? Is there a part I need to ask for at the auto parts store?

3. Do I need to anchor the cable to a spot on the carb closer to the cab than where the cable attaches? My manual choke cable is and I'm wondering if this needs to be the same. I'm guessing it does, so my question is what do I anchor it to?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hand throttle question for those who have one.

you have options here..
1.you can get a cable thats sleeved the whole way
2. try to use the longest part of the sleeve and put a spring on the carb where it attaches
3. small tubing might work.. like small hard air line

2. I used an electrical connector and crimped it on the cable..you can also just loop the cable with a crimping thingy

3. on the TJ's this is easy, you just use the plate that hold the cruise control cable.I suspect that you could just drill another hole in the bracket that holds your throttle cable, or you could look for the bracket that hold the cruise in an old waggie w/cruise and a 360

hope all this also makes sence
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Sure does.....I'm 250 miles away from my Jeep so I can't go look at it and hold up the cables to how I'd like them right now but I'm trying to figure it out in my head.

Since I pulled the cables off a bike that had two shifters I've been thinking of using one for throttle and the other for choke and mount them side by side like they are now on my shifter.....down low where I can't bump them but in just the right place to make them easy to get to.

I never thought about using an electrical connector.....I'm assuming you put a screw through it and through the hole in the throttle control of your TJ.

Is there some kind of special connector that goes on the ends of cables like this that would easily attach to what I've got now?

Monday I'm going to make a trip to the hardware store to replace the melted air hose for my OBA and while I'm there I'll look for something to sleeve this cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 11:24 PM

Get yourself a universal brake cable from a bike/hardware store. Just make sure that the one end matches the end of the cable that's in the shifter. The sleeve is plenty long to route all the way in to the engine compartment.

You'll end up wanting the hand throttle mounted up by the shift knob so that it's easier to get to.

Ken Linzmeyer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 11:53 PM

couldnt you just use the manual choke cable
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I need the choke cable to control my choke. Unless you were asking why don't I just keep my original choke instead of using a doubled up hand throttle/choke and I might keep it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 03:28 AM
Old Hand

I have had a hand throttle, and when wheeling... I never used it.. I mean.. what the hell is the point???

You need to learn how the throttle/clutch/brake works and how to use all 3 while wheeling to wheel good.. leaving the throttle at a certain spot with hand throttle seems just pointless to me. Since depending on the situation/terrain and what you are doing that second dictates how fast you want to go.

And hell, you may have to reverse and then change the hand throttle back to "neutral/no gas" put it in reverse then go forward again and set your hand throttle to "keep going"?

I don't know about anyone else but in the boring sections I go faster than the hardcore sections, and in the hardcore sections I for sure don't want a constant or minimum speed set...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 05:38 AM
blackjeep2002

The hand throttle is nice when you need/want to keep a certain rpm going. As in up a hill (or down) that is really rough but not too challenging. Or when you are winching, welding, or using the onboard air compressor. There are lots of uses for the hand throttle. Just hook it up to your carb linkage via a short chain so the throttle will give up the slack easily if you want to increase the rpms temporarily with your foot.

Keith [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

as mentioned, the hand throttle is manditory with an on board welder or air, but I use mine a lot while off road.. climbing steep rocky hills is nice, your foot doesn't jounce around and punch the gas..smooth power...
I also use it when i am tring to creep is REALLY bad spots.. where you are about to roll and have to inch forward.. you dont dare let off the brake, and you need the clutch... in this instance, you can give a bit of throttle, let the clutch out while you still have the brake fully applied and then modulate your progress with the brake.
I have used it on long highway trips as well...just to stretch out the gas pedal leg.....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 01:21 PM
MudDogYJ

i installed a hand throttle on my YJ a few months ago, and have found it extrememly functional in its short existance on my rig. without on board air, welder, or any compressors, ive still found the extra bit of control a nice option.
recently, i was in my buddy's 84 Scrambler (aptly named Gus) in a nothern VT wheeling trip. his carb kept idling low, and it was cutting out. he was shifting the NP205 into neutral every time he wasnt accelerating, and it was a real pain in the arse to keep the RPMs high enough when in gear. he repeatedly exclaimed "man, i wish i had a manual throttle control" so, its useful...

good luck with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode