Specifics on an SYE kit?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Specifics on an SYE kit??

Im looking tward getting a bit of extra clearance out of my TJ. I found I have a bit of an issue after this last weekend. I'd like to get rid of the drop down spacers for my transfer cases to start with. My question from there, is I figure I will be adding an SYE kit to take care of the drive line angle but what im wondering is, do I need a new driveline or "modified" driveline to do this? I will probably end up getting a CV driveshaft eventualy but do you have to change the driveline out at the time you install the SYE?

Do they make aftermarket transfer case skids that dont hang so low also?

All of this will be done in a 97 TJ. Im not going to make the move to 35" tires untill I can get that wretched d35 replaced so take note that I already have bigger tires planned in the future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Specifics on an SYE kit??

When you install an SYE you also NEED to switch rear driveshafts. On your stock setup the travel in the rear driveline is in the transfer case, but when you eliminate that travel your original solid driveshaft won't work. So you will definately need a new rear driveshaft.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

If you want to do without the lowered transfer case can you just get a cv for your driveline? or do you have to go with the sye? and if so, what is the advantage of the sye? Ive heard some people localy that have had problems with the sye but never dug into it enough to find out the whats and why's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

with a SYE you get rid of the weak design of the slip yoke..the slip yoke likes to fall apart and will V B A E you to death with a lifted jeep. then the u-joints fail...
I R T

...more often as well. the sye also allows the use of a cv driveshaft.. then all the vibes go away and you can use a flat skidpan without dropping the transfercase.
you MUST use the cv driveshaft with the SLE because the SLE comes with a CV yoke
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 11:34 PM

dude,
1st advantage of SYE kits: they also happen to shorten the T case

2nd the advantage of moving the slip joint from out of the T case and into the drivesaft is a triangle thing. but trust me, it reduces the average joint angle.

3rd. do a search. the CV joint is not magic. it is two U joints placed really close together. when using this type of CV you have to re aim you axle so that it points at the transfer case. the angle of the U joint at the axle needs to be zero. it is all about balance. the two joints in the "CV" joint balance each other. if the third joint angle is not ~zero then you should have vibration.

4th do a search on jeepsunlimited about belly up skip plates.

and if I've violated you civil rights, let me apologize in advance. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Haha.. Thanks speed buggy. I?ve already been looking into the raised skid plates. This is what started my curiosity in the first place. I did a search on the board for sye, and it brought back "thousands" of reply's and posts most of which had nothing to do with what I needing to know. I understand how it all works now and see that to get done what I want I will have my work cut out for me. I do plan on raising the transfer case by putting a raised skid plate. From what I read I will have to also do a 1" body lift and motor mount lift to accommodate the raised t-case. At that time I will be putting the sye kit and the new driveline. It looks like it will be a bit more than I want to spend but will be worth it in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode