Converting a 7 tub into an 8 tub - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Converting a 7 tub into an 8 tub

Ok here is the scoop. I have a brand new 1984 Jeep CJ7 Metal tub that I bought new in 1984. It's still in primer and sitting in storage. Since 1984 I have had 10 or 11 7's and now they are all sold.

I really don't want to build another 7 and I REALLY want to build on 8. How would one go about taking this tub and added the extra inches to make it an eight? Anyone ever do it? I will start with just the tub and buy everthing new from there. I plan on spending between 20-30K to complete project using myself for all assembly/welding/painting. I want to run a 7.3 liter turbo diesel. 60 front axle, Corp. 14 out back 6-8 lift, possibly 37 in. tires. I will also put in a body lift to clear whatever automatic trans I want to run and I will want to put a full roll cage and all modern day ammenities, ie air conditioning and all complete gauges. My garage is cleaned, insulated and the garage heater will be hung this weekend. I want to start my project asap.

Any advise on any of the above would be great. I know most people will say sell the tub and buy a fiberglass 8. But I just don't want the hassle of trying to sell a tub that I had for so many years thats so perfect.

Thanks,

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Official Historian

Re: Converting a 7 tub into an 8 tub

The wheelwells are completely different on the 7 and 8. The 7 has big ones and the 8's are more like pickup bed wheel wells. Just one more thing to change. I borrowed this from Tom's site.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There are guys that have done this buy grafting in the back half of a CJ8 tub. Jeepskate did this on his project. If you have a perfect CJ7 tub from 1984, then I would suggest you sell it, and buy a decent CJ8 tub to restore, or get a steel, aluminum, or fiberglass replacement tub.

Check out: http://forums.cj-8.com/

They can get you all the CJ8 info you would ever want, including replacement tub options.

Later,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 05:33 PM

Thats a pretty sizable amount of money for the project!

Sell the tub and buy an 8 tub! You will thank yourself down the road.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

At this point in time, an NOS 7 tub is worth good money. I would sell it to someone that is restoring a 7 and then go buy a 8 tub.

You could lengthen the body, but way cut up a perfectly good 7 tub that are just about none around.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 PM

I gotta agree with the others...it'd be a crime to hack up a pristine CJ-7 tub. I'd save it for another project or sell it to help finance the CJ-8. Then I'd buy a CJ-8 tub or, if you're just itching to cut & burn, get a YJ tub and aftermarket CJ-8 sides, floor, wheelhouses, etc. and do the graft. Do a search, you'll find pics of mine as well as jeepinmatt's (I got courage to do it from him...he custom built his bed & wheelhouses from diamond plate).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 11:02 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Take a look at the JP aluminum jeep bodies-I would sell that tub and buy one of theirs. Of course, owning it already and using it as a starting point probably sounds real good...I suggest if you go that route, maybe lengthen only the area in front of the wheelwells to make a "bobbed" Scrambler. On the JP aluminum body web page they also have a "bobbed" Scrambler shown...and they list a replacement Scrambler frame that you can get with TJ suspension bracketry instead of leafs...I have really been considering doing something like that as my next project- after my Scrambler, my Commando, and my Wagoneer are done...so maybe when I'm 90 or so...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:51 AM
Old Hand

Well, I have a slightly different perspective.

I guess my answer depends on why you want an 8. I have one and it's great for everything until you get into some really tough terrain (like the hammers). The tail overhang is really a little too long. I've munched mine up pretty good. Now, if you don't plan on running 5+ trails, a scrambler may be the ticket (and then I would agree with the above posts, just buy an 8 tub....they have different lines in the overhang, the wheelwells as mentioned, the supports for the roll bar, etc)

I think the cleanest idea is a stretched 7 to be similar to a bobbed 8. You get the advantages of extra wheelbase, more storage, but no overhang. If you really want to build the ultimate rig, why not just make it exactly ideal for your use? My neighbor has a bobbed 8 and it is Very proportional. He runs 35s, but with 38s you could even stretch the wheelbase a little and it would rock.

If you want to be able to run a scrambler hard top you could always stretch it 'just enough' to make the tub length match (just no overhang).

As far as cutting the NOS tub, why not. You've stored it for 20 years why let someone else get the benefit of the 'cool factor' you have into it. It makes a great story. How many of us have stored a new tub for 20 years and then cut it in half and stretched it???? I think nobody.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode