Maybe we shouldn't be wheeling in the woods?(long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Maybe we shouldn\'t be wheeling in the woods?(long)

I'm thinking the trees are getting tired of us being in the woods. Why you ask? Well, last night, a buddy and I decided to head out to a nearby wheeling spot outside of Oregon City. All was fine and dandy for the first hour or so. We were coming up a tight trail, loaded with small trees and brush on each side. I believe I was telling him about the last time I blew my rear driveline out. Anyway, as I was speaking, I heard a few snaps and cracks. I really didn't think anything of it, as I had been hearing them all night as tree branches snapped off on the windshield, fenders, and everything else they could grab a hold of. Well, this snap, crackle, and pop got VERY loud, and very up close and personal. I really can't put into words how it sounded, other than a rather large tree breaking. Of course, by this time, I had a faceful of small tree branches. I stopped the Jeep, shouted, "What the hell was that?", and then looked over my left shoulder. This is where it gets strange. Somehow, while driving up this trail, a tree decided to pop into my open window, and proceed to feed itself inward. By the time we figured out what had happened, this tree came through the window, UNDERNEATH my shoulder harness (yes, right next to my head and neck), back to the rear of the jeep, where it hit the top of the softop, halfway broke, and proceed downward to the rear passenger portion of the Jeep. The end of the tree then slithered between the Jeep tub and the softop, finally coming to rest about 1ft outside the rear end of the Jeep. After sitting there about 10-15 seconds, thinking to myself, "Damn, what just happened?", my buddy and I climbed out the passenger side door. Man, this was a Kodak moment if there ever was one. We finally broke part of the tree off inside of the Jeep, and fed it out the passenger side door. Then I had to back the Jeep up while he was outside pulling the remainder of the tree out of my window. All in all, the total length of the tree that came into my Jeep, and then back out the rear, was somewhere close to 9ft long. It pretty much accordianed itself. There was still about 5 feet of tree left in the ground. Surprisingly, there were no tears or rips of any kind that I can see as of yet in the softop. The thing I just can't figure, is how the hell did it make it under my shoulder harness and poke out the rear of the Jeep before I even noticed it was there? Man, I feel as though I'm a lucky man. If I'd of been sitting farther left, that sucker could of poked an eye out, or gone right into my neck. And in case you're wondering, the tree was about two to two and a half inches in diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:44 PM

Re: Maybe we shouldn\'t be wheeling in the woods?(long)

Sounds like you've been watching too much "Lord of the Rings". Angry trees. LOL

Sometimes it's strange how they wedge themselves into every part of your rig.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:56 PM

it's incredible how they seem to do it...while doing field work, i've found branches in areas of the atv where you wouldn't think they even could get, had them go up my sleeves, pant legs, helmet, and even get behind my safety glasses and push them forward off my face (while i was travelling forward)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Old Hand

"There is unrest in the forrest......"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Is this going to turn into a Bigfoot thread?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

no more acid before wheeling james...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Old Hand

Dude James.... so you just get the jeep good to go again and your tweaking,.. come on man spend the $$ on jeep parts heehee [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:13 PM

James I don't think your paranoid. I think they are out to get you. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Or did your jeep "actually" get a woody. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 09:34 PM

jammys jeep was sporting wood woo hoo lol good job jammy ...oh yeah i still want those little pieces of paper you promised me way back when you know the ones i mean
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 07:08 PM

Jammy crack is bad for you, spend your money on a tow rig and trailer instead of crack so you can come to attica this spring.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode