Terra-Flex TJ long arm 4" - worth it? Better? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Terra-Flex TJ long arm 4\" - worth it? Better?

Worth the money?
Something better?
How are they in the street - better than stock like the ads say? Both street and off road are concerns.
Are the arms adjustable?

I'm about to do it on a new Rubicon - with 35x12.5 MT/R's - hope it improves things. Unless of course there's something better out there.

Thanks in advance, Rich.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:30 AM
Veteran

Re: Terra-Flex TJ long arm 4\" - worth it? Better?

I've never ridden in a Jeep with Tera installed, but just by looking at their long arms, they are about half the size of the Rubicon Express ones. I can attest to RE's smoothness on the road, its easily better than the stock ride and as far as off road, RE has been proven over and over again.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 09:30 AM

I would never buy a teraflex lift ever my friend just got a tereaflex longarm and what a piece!! he paid like $1400 for it.. what a joke no upper control arms had to cut the stock skid plate,

Rubicon replaces the skid with a flat skid plate comes with uppers and lowers, trackbar, brake lines and much more check it out ar www.rubiconexpress.com

My longarm kit was purchased through Northridge4x4 and i got it for $1685 plus shocks..

I do not regret spending that kind of money on a lift it works great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

The thing that makes me shy away from the Rubicon Express is the Heim joints - metal to metal. I've heard they don't last all that long, need to be replaced every few thousand miles.
Have I heard wrong?
But I like the fact they come with the skid plate and the arms are adjustable. Seems like you get more with the RE too.
How is the RE in the street?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:26 PM

I have not had a problem at all!! The ride on the street is better than stock.. If you are getting a long arm kit then rubicon express is the one to get end of conversation.. The tereflex long arm kit sucks big time. I am totally shocked with the quality of the teraflex long arm kit, I had never seen one previously and alot of people like it. I know now why the like it because they are to big to say yeah i screwed up and it sucks.. It doesn't even come with brake lines.. Nice kit [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Also if you have a problem with the rubicon one you can get the new parts quickly without a hassle..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The heims have teflon inserts in them and can therefore be serviced easily. The rebuild kits are $6 each. My kit lasted about 15000 miles till it needed the joints rplaced, but I found that the heims lasted as long as the rubber bushings in the other end.
15000 miles and thats a LOT of mud, salt water, peat bog, beach, all sorts of nasty east coast wheeling...I expect it will last a lot longer out here.
The ride on the road is very very nice.. controlled and smooth..
there is also no wierd weight transfers anymore on or off road.
I do have just a bit of bumpsteer, but that's probably be a product of the tie rod/drag link angles
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Thanks, it's always best to get more than one opinion.

I just ordered the RE 4.5" long arm. I talked to them first.

Seems they no longer use the troublesome Heim Joints - dropped it in favor of another similar joint but better. These have plastic inserts and as they wear, they can be adjusted tighter. And when worn out, new inserts can be put in easily.
He also said the arms themselves are larger/stronger. I can see occasionally the rig may drop off a rock onto them, so strong is important.
And - it has the flat skid plate and long brake lines as part of the kit - a big plus.

All in all the RE's probably not more expensive than the TerraFlex.

Hopefully I'll have it all in place by the end of next week, I'll post the results here.

He He - only problem then will be gettin' in and out of it -I'm old, hips don't work so well anymore.
Between the suspension and tires it'll be about 7.5 inches higher.
Does anybody make an escalator or elevator for it?
Guess I'll have to use WD-40 on the old hips to loosen 'em up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Veteran

I haven't had to change any of my joints yet and my lift has been on for a year and a half. It's got several wheeling trips on it, a few where I had to drive 300+ miles one way, one trip that totalled over 2000 miles with a wheeling trip in the middle. I will say that the quality of their parts are top-notch, RE is the only kit that I recommend, simply because I am so happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode