Looking for a little help from fellow 4xers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking for a little help from fellow 4xers

I am somewhat of a stranger to these forums but enjoy reading alot of of these pages, and now I come to you with a question a little off topic. I know this is a Jeep forum, but I only post here because it gets alot os traffic. I currently attend WSU (Washington State) and recently joined a club, we are building a miniature formula car.(Part of SAE collegiate design series) info and rules can be found here Sae formula rules pics etc.
I come here on own trying to scrounge up a few extra tips on, and info that might be able to help us. We are running a CBR600F4i I believe (it's fuel injected). Could anyone with streetbike engine experience provide me with some tips on how me might be able to sqeeze a few extra horse power out of the engine. We already plan to port the head, run higher compression, and longer rod for a better ration and longer dwell, any little tricks would be greatly appreciated, or info on companies that might want to contribute, and maybe even a link to a better forum. I did try some motorcycle forums, but none get enough traffic or gave detailed enough info. Thanks in advance, and sorry if I offended anyone by posting this here.
Christopher Judd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Looking for a little help from fellow 4xers

you might want to put something in the title asking for street bike help... just put "O/T" in front of it.. for off topic... you're title now.. may not get the right people to look at this.. i know there are several on here.. with what you are looking for..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Journeyman

I assume that if you are porting it, you are using a racing exhaust system on it as well? If you increase the amount of air going in, it has to have someplace to go out...by using a stock exhaust system, it could be constricting. I wouldn't mess with the injection system much, I think Honda got it pretty right the first time around with the F4i. I am not sure what year you have. I think you are covering all the bases on it so far... Sportbikes come from the factory pretty well tuned. Use a good airfilter, maybe with a ram air induction. I am by far no expert, but I ride a honda sport bike...I'm not into the race scene, but I have some friends who are. Hope this helps!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Addict

If the motor is fuel injected then any work you do without adjusting the injection would more than likely make your motor either run worse or hotter. You would probably loose torque from the motor without adjusting the injection.
You would be able to do much more if the motor was carbed.
Re-cam it, port it,Change the compression, change the exhaust and then work with the carbs with needles and jets. there are a few decent sportbike sites out there that would probably assist you much better than us.

Ken
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:07 PM

Since I love sportbikes and visit the columns about every day....
Try these.
cycle forums
sportbikes.ws
stuntlife.com
esportbike
sportbike.com
And I wanted to add sportbikes.net (that I like a lot) but it seems to have been down over a week.

Hope some of these help.
My faves are cycle forums and stuntlife.
I'm sure you will get help there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

LEVE once told me that indexing your spakplugs is an old race trick to squeez that little bit more out of a motor...might be something to look at.
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode