Warm Jeep on cold mornings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Warm Jeep on cold mornings

I thought I'd pass this along with the cooler weather coming on and with the discussion on more heat. I know a lot of us don't have nice warm garages and some that do have too much lift for the Jeep to fit. I am not the originator of the complete idea, I just made some improvements on it.

Thirty plus years ago I was working on the railroad, my foreman was talking about how he put a space heater in his truck turned on, plugged it into the end of an extension cord every night and plugged the other end of the cord in when he woke up to go to work. A few cold morning in the Jeep waiting for the heater to kick in got me to thinking about this idea so I bought a space heater that would fit under the seat.

Now for the improvement. I was not in the mood to traipse down stairs every morning in my underwear to plug in the cord. I already had a Radio Shack wireless remote control system that I had bought for a couple of swag lamps that were hard to get to the switches.

I bought the appliance outlet module and installed it on the carport. I plugged the cord into the Jeep every night and when the alarm went off each morning, I'd shut off the alarm and push the button to turn on the space heater. By the time I showered, shaved, etc., the Jeep was nice and toasty and lasted until the engine heated up to get warm air from the heater.

And yes, I meant that I plugged in the Jeep. If you look closely in the picture below, you see a round hole under the door. Behind the hole is a motor base male plug with a female on the inside. The heater stays plugged in and all I have to do is plug the cord into the hole in the Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:50 PM
MOX
Old Hand

Re: Warm Jeep on cold mornings

I have automatic start in my Jeep so on cold mornings I just push a button on my key ring and she starts up and is nice and warm by the time I get out there. Just my 0.02s
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:09 PM

Some of you guys ought to venture up to fairbanks in the winter... Ohh do I wish my jeep even *HAD* a heater the year I brought it up there. Meanwhile other people are out there with there car buddy heaters and heated seats, while me, in my cj, had a window scraper to scrape the *inside* of the window at every intersection...

That only lasted about two months and I plumbed in an old marine heater right between the seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:35 PM

Back when I set trucks up for the North Slope, we did the following:

1. Put in a heater in the lower radiator hose (more reliable than tank type heaters)
2. Put a trickle charger permanantly on the battery (charging the battery kept it warm)
3. Put a oil pan heater on--usually 100 watt (this is the best type of engine heater)
4. Put a 1000 watt Excell Interior heater in the cab

This is also the way I set my car up when I went to college in Fairbanks, Alaska. It is effective. If you plugged a rig in with this set up, even and early 80's diesel Chevy would start in the middle of winter in Prudhoe.

The idea of using a remote heater switch is great, but I like relabilty. I'm plumbed in to use a switch inside the house to turn my rigs on. I plug them in during the winter every night as a matter of course. If the temp isn't going to go past -10, I flip them on when I get up, and they are ready to rock by the time I'm ready for work. If it is colder, I flip the switch on when I go to bed. Works great. (since I live in a more temperate part of Alaska these days, I don't use the interior heater, just the others).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode