My Brakes...well - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:53 PM
304CJ7

My Brakes...well

They bite. They dont work all that good. They are power brakes and I have recently put new pads and bled them. But they still arnt anything to brag about. I think I need a new brake booster, but im not sure. Any hints or ideas on how to get them working better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 05:05 PM

Re: My Brakes...well

Check rear brake pads to see if they're oil soaked,

Bleed...Bleed...Bleed...

(If you have front disc brakes)Check front rotors to see if they're pitted or were very rusty at one time, if so turn them,

Check the front pads to see if one is wearing more than the other, if so your caliper is sticking, remove and clean/replace the slider pins,

Your antilock solenoid has an internal leak (just kidding, you don't have that, but it was on my '88 pickup),

I usually adjust my drum brakes to where I can just get the drums on and then the adjustment mechanism can take over and I have good brakes.

These are the cheaper things to check first, then you get into replacing flexable brake lines and master cylinder.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 05:11 PM

In no particular order:

1.Are they stock P/B ? booster? master?
2. Hows the pedal feel, soft, spongy, hard?
3. Does the pedal slowly drop to the floor or stay firm?
4. How much pedal travel do you have?
5. How do the flex lines look?
6. Are the rear brakes in good shape and adjusted right?
7. Do you have good vacuum to the booster?
8. Do you hear any hissing when you apply the brakes?

That should be a good start and keep you busy awhile [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 PM

If everything else is good but the booster just isn't giving you enough assist, find a rebuilder and take in your old booster along with a core from an 80's Chevy S-10 or cadillac that has the dual diaphragm booster. It's twice as thick. This will give you very powerfull assist and you can lock up those 33x12.5 on pavement with ease. The shop will have to rebuild the S-10 booster and modify the input rod to match the length of the jeep's. Other than that, it bolts on and the rod between the booster and master cylinder may need lengthening. You want a small amount of play between the booster and the master cylinder. I've had this setup for about 4 years now and it's the best safety modification aside from a cage.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

I just did a Hydro-booster and I love it. The brakes stop the jeep. Can you believe it. I recomend it for all jeeps.

I used the total setup from an 87 Chev Suburban. I bought a rebuilt pump and new hoses. It runs the brakes and the ram stearing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode