need advice on buying a "yj" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 PM
BogDogJim

need advice on buying a \"yj\"

A buddy of mine just bought two 1987 cj-7 jeeps. I went boggin' with him and his wife - and now i want a 4x4. Before I slap down cash, I need some advice from experianced 4 wheeler's. I want to get a cj-7 jeep like my buddy-so it will be easy to work on- but I don't really care, I just want a boggin' machine that will not be street legal and won't cost much. I can get a (lifted)ford '78 4x4 pickup standard trans for $1500 or a (lifted) '90 dodge ram automatic 4x4 for $2500 or a 90-ish jeep "yj" -(if there is such a thing) 4x4 2.5L 4cyl for $2500.
the first two are in good running order, but don't have big tires even though they are jacked up 3" to 4". The jeep has a short wheel base, but no brakes and is in a state od dis-repair - but it runs and has boggin' tires on it allready. All I want to do is go boggin' in the mud for as cheap as possible, but still be able to keep up with my buddie's cj-7 with super swampers. (no-one wants to be left behind when you could be out having fun!)
My question is this:
Should I buy the Ford (which is the cheapest, but has the longest wheel base) or the Ram (which has a big block 8 in it, but it is an automatic) or the jeep (which is only 4 cyln. but has no brakes) or should I hold out and keep looking? The max I want to spend is $3,000.00 (4x4 and tires)
-Just getting into this sport, so any and all advice is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:49 PM

Re: need advice on buying a \"yj\"

I'm not busting on you so don't take it as that......
But you even said you are new to the sport.
What ever you buy....... it will not be cheap. Any wheeling = $$$$. Things break and always will if you are playing. But it sounds like you are planning on running flatlands with mud holes. If thats the case it won't really matter what you get. Any truck can do those with mods. BUT, this is a jeep BBS..............so...........I say........get the jeep. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Keep in mind HP rules in the quagmire mud..........but HP also breaks things faster.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:46 PM

Longer wheelbases and automatics work better in the mud. However I'd still get the Ford because I'm not fond of Dodges. Hope the tranny is a T-18 4-speed in that Ford. Being able to buy your 'boggin tires means you'll get to research and choose which will be the best for your application. Boggers rob HP, so if you're short on that, run TSLs (TSL SXs are my favorite).

That Dodge Ram... if it doesn't have a solid front axle (instead of IFS) under the front of it- FORGET ABOUT IT. IFS is much weaker than a solid axle, and a big-block and big mud tires will wreck havok on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 PM

I'm with Dirt Dog! Wheelin is not cheap! Econo = shortcut to spending more money! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 04:25 AM
blackjeep2002

My choice would be the YJ. More parts availability, easier to fix, etc.
However, if you are only going to go muddin', then one of the longer wheelbase trucks with more horsepower would be better for you. I would buy the F**d because it will be easier to work on than the D***e. Yes, you will be working on it! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Sometimes you may even want to leave it out there, but that is the fun of this sport. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
All in all, get what you like the best and make the most of it. I have seen some great looking rigs that perform like crap because their owners do not know how to fix or take care of them. I have also seen some real "piles of junk" that do awesome off road because the owners put more time into learning about their trucks capabilities and weak spots than about appearance

Good luck to you! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Keith [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 05:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

While I do not want to take away from the buy a jeep Idea, I do want to chime in and say, Trail riding and "Bogging" are almost exact opposites.. I can get away with having a underpowered 2.5 on a trail, but when spinning the same tires in mud, my jeep just plain sucks cause it was not built for that. I would stay away from the 4cyl,,, By all means buy a jeep, but get an old cj with a 360 in it and bog away.. short of that I would buy the ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode