Opinions on Ford 8.8 for a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Opinions on Ford 8.8 for a CJ

A buddy has a Ford 8.8 that I might could pick up for cheap. Off an Old F-150 Explorer Truck. Drum Brakes and I think it was 60" wide. It's gonna have the 31 splines and 1.3" Diameter Shafts. Same as the Good Ford 9, But I also believe that it is a C-Clip Axle. Don't know if ALL 8.8 are or not though.

Anyway, not to thrilled about C-clips after this past weekend when John blew up his D35 and we had to do a Trail fix.... What a PIA C-clips are.

If I did go 8.8 I'd put disc brakes on it and ditch the Clips, An no I wouldn't spend the $150-$200/ side for C-clip eliminators before anyone suggests them.

anyway, I want Opinions on the 8.8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Official Historian

Re: Opinions on Ford 8.8 for a CJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If I did go 8.8 I'd put disc brakes on it and ditch the Clips, An no I wouldn't spend the $150-$200/ side for C-clip eliminators before anyone suggests them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain this to us. If you want the disk to be the axle retainer, it won't work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I may be jumping ahead in my research....

From what I undersatnd the purpose of the C-clip is to hold the axle in... From what I've heard, if you put Disc brakes on it will keep the axle from walking out if you were to bust the axle, thus being able to loose the C-clip. Is that wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:55 PM

yea brent thats wrong....man you need to learn to search [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....the disk brakes will "help" keep the axle from walking out at a VERY low speed.....but the axle will eventally walk out on you......this is just what i have read on the net, so thats why im going D44, no more damn [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] c-clips....and 60" wms to wms is the same width as my rig

later
john [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the correct axle for any cj that sees the trail is a 14 bolt from a cab&amp;chassis truck.
stop thinking about anything else...this is correct... my way is the right way...
just kidding... but..er... you really could have a 14 bolt in the jeep for LESS money than the 8.8... and you need an 8 lug axle in the front anyway...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm looking at mine and I can't see how it would walk out...that whole caliper thing and all...The caliper is bolted to the axle tube, the outer brake pad and caliper would keep it from riding out...am I missing something?

Now with drums, I think it would do the same thing Johns D35 did.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brent, look at a set of narrow track waggy axles before you do anything. I'm not saying its right for you, but it may be cheaper than you think and it will get you a 44 front.

Or, save yourself some time and money and go straight to the 60 and 14 bolt. You'll be there sooner or later anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:21 PM

in response to the axles walking out ...lets think about this our jeep weighs in the neighborhood of lets say 2800 or so pounds (lots more when loaded with gear) while making a turn the amount of side load placed on the brake components would be extreme more than enough to snap the caliper bolts and seriously ruin your day in a hurray not to mention the possible risk to life and limb
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

Calipers will hold the axle in just fine... I know H8Monday had broke a axle in his old 8.8 with discs and drove it out. I have seen 12 bolt axles with disc brakes and 42" tires make it out of the woods with a broke axle shaft just fine. If you really think about it the caliper and caliper bracket is a heck of a lot beefier than a c-clip anyways.... If your going to use a c-clip axle definately only use one with disc brakes that way you don't have to fix it where it sits...

8.8 shafts are really really big too (I think around 1.45")... Not the easiest things in the world to break.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(I think around 1.45")...

[/ QUOTE ]

1.31 comes to mind.

The c-clip fits in a recess in the side gear. The side gear is splined to the axle shaft. The side gear, axle shaft and c-clip move as one unit. If you rely on the brake caliper to hold the axle in position, it would be almost the same as driving around with the brake engaged. There will be a LOT of friction. Do not do it. Period. Either use the c-clip or use a c-clip elimination kit but do not use the brake calipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode