engine swap... from 2.5 to 4.0 to 2.5 again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:56 PM
ygohome

engine swap... from 2.5 to 4.0 to 2.5 again

Hi,

I need some direction on where to go with my 1989 Wrangler "project".

I have an 89 Jeep wrangler that originally came with a 2.5. That engine gave up it's ghost about 70,000+ miles ago and I've since had a 4.0 from a wrecked 91 cherokee put in as a replacement. That was back in 1995 or there about.

To do the 4.0 swap from the cherokee it required that a wire harness be spliced with the 2.5 engines harness. That didn't go to well, even though I've put on over 70,000 miles since then it hasn't been without it's problems. The wire harness has cut wires going in all directions.. its just a mess.

My plan is to either completely replace the wire harness, but where do I get this done? who is capable of such a task? any suggestions?

My other idea is to purchase a rebuilt 2.5 for about $900 with a 7yr/70,000 mile warrenty from www.jeep-suv-and-parts.com

I'd have to purchase all the assecories and PCM and wire harness again though but I'd basically be bringing the jeep back to stock engine configuration. This is actually seeming like a good plan to me since the problems I've had with the 4.0 and hashed wire harness problems. It would be nice to just have a little 2.5 reliable engine.

I'm curious to get your thoughts on these two ideas...

1) spend $$$ on creating a new wire harness when that may not truely be the cause of the problems...then spend more money in diagnosing the true problem which may be with the engine itself or possible even a fuel delivery problem... the engine is getting adequet fuel pressure though... I've spent countless hours and $ trying to diagnose it already and each time the problem comes back (unable to start).

2) spend about $1500 or so and go back to a freshly rebuilt 2.5. use factory 2.5 wire harness (no messy or questionable wireing), factory computer, purchase all engine add on assecories and brackets again (unless I can reuse what I have on the 4.0)

What do you think of these ideas or do have other good ideas. I do not want to go to anything too radical like a V8 conversion. Would possibly consider another 4.0 conversion from a 92-95 wranger using a freshly rebuilt engine (about $1150 with core exchange) if I can just use a wire harness and pcm from it don't have to splice wire harnesses etc...

Again just looking for a direction to take this and get the jeep rolling again.. Hadn't driven it in almost 2 years since it hasn't started since then and I'm going through withdrawls.

BTW... the Jeep has:
- stock front and rear dana 30 and 35 axles with 4.10 gears
- 35" tires on 15x8 MT wheels
- 3.5" leaf spring lift
- 2" body lift

Very excited to get this going again.

Thanks

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:54 PM

Re: engine swap... from 2.5 to 4.0 to 2.5 again

I'd personally buy a new wiring harness for the 4.0L.. unless it has other problems..

Or send the 4.0L my way.

I dunno if Hesco makes a harness for 2.5 to 4.0L.. but I'm sure they do some custom harnesses..
also there's painless wiring harnesses.. check them.

Definitely more affordable then a full engine swap again.

Also, if your going back to a 2.5L, rebuild with all the accesories, why not do 4.0L rebuilt with all the accesories and crap.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
ygohome

I'll call Hesco and Painless Wireing to see what they recommend.

If I end up doing an engine swap it would be great to do another 4.0 conversion... just don't want to go through the headache I had with the last one and the shoddy wire harness work. If I could just reuse a wire harness from a 93 wrangler then that would be great.

The reason for leaning towards the 2.5 again was that I could use a stock wire harness without having to splice to harnesses together.

I'll give those companies a call now.

Thanks,

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

I got my 4.0L engine wire harness from Hesco. Expensive, but easy to work with.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:24 PM
ygohome

Rick,

Hi. Does Hesco have a web page. I'm not able to find them. Or do you have Hesco's number handy?

also, if you don't mind, roughly how much did you end up paying?

Thanks,

Ben
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hesco

Their website is not the easiest thing to navigate. I believe the engine harness was somewhere around $400.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Here's the specific page that describes the harness:
wire harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode