Engine swaps and Emissions in Georgia - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Robert87yj

Engine swaps and Emissions in Georgia

Anyone know how an engine swap would affect emissions regulations in Georgia. I've been searching and have not found anything definate yet.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Robert87yj

Re: Engine swaps and Emissions in Georgia

After reading page by page through the GA Evironmental Protection Divison's website I've found the answer, if anyone's interested.

GA EPD Rules 391-3-20-.03 , item # 6
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

(6) For vehicles which do not have the original engine, the model year of the chassis will be considered the model year of the vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

taken from: http://www.cleanairforce.com/vehicles03.htm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Veteran

I didn't think Ga had anything dealing with emissions standards,.....hell, they don't even have an inspection sticker, so I'd imagine that you could put any engine in any vehicle,.......who's gonna check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:18 PM

[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]

You might want to keep reading, [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] because if I remember correctly, there is a requirement that older engines can't be used in newer vehicles. I read this a few years ago, since I was living inside the confines [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] of the atlanta air nazi's empire. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Right now I'm outside that and in a few years my jeep will be exempt by age(1979 cj7). [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] Just a heads up though if you want to put a 75 401 in your 87 yj, not only will it be hard to meet the requirements of a yj's 258 but it may also be 'illegal'.

I'm assuming you're already a member of southern jeeps? (www.southernjeeps.org) They're a good organization to be a member of.

BTW, what area of ATL are you in? I live in Griffin.

Andy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:26 PM

Sorry Infantry YJ,
This goes for Atlanta metro area only, something like a 13 county area last I check though I think it is soon to expand to several more. I'm sure eventually they'll try to enforce it for the entire state but we'll have a few more years to play. Right now Atlanta is growing so fast the metro area almost extends from Alabama to South Carolina and from Macon to almost Chattanooga. People 'jokingly' refer to Birmingham as an Atlanta suburb.

Sorry to get O/T but several years ago my parents had to park their 83 bronco due to not passing- it was easier to quit using it and 'rebuild it one of these days' than to put up with constantly working on it.

Andy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Robert87yj

I live in snellville. Not worried about the requirements. I am planning on finding (when time and money allow) a rolled vehicle to swap the engine out of. Most likely will go with a chevy powerplant. But that is a few years in the future. Starting researching now to figure out what direction I want to go with it.

Jeep doesn't run right now due to some unfortunate circumsances and I dont' have time nor money to devote to it. Frankly, I miss driving it, but other things have take priority in my life right now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Robert87yj

Wow, just checked out southernjeeps.org. Seem's like a nice organization. I'll definately look them up when I get to where I want to wheel again.

for those in the atlanta area, know of any junkyards that are good? The only one I know of is the pick and pull off Buford HWY in Duluth. I like to poke around in yards from time to time to keep my sanity.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Ohhhh,.....didn't know you uppity city folk have it that bad,......I'm down in Agony(Albany) and I haven't even heard of anyone dealing with an emission test. Doesn't matter for me anyway, I'm registered with Louisiana plates and am Ga exempt [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:47 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat, my jeep runs but there are other more important things in my life- Just got married in June(and yes she said I can keep the jeep), and am helping my dad build a jeeplab(60x80 workshop). So when the lab is done I'll put the jeep in for a tear down and frankenstein build up. So right now I'm not even a member of Southern jeeps.

My Aunt lived in Snellville and had to comply with emissions, but to beat that they registered in Hart county where they had a vacation home, since they have moved out there and retired.

Andy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Robert87yj

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
tear down and frankenstein build up

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind-of on the same route...'cept wife is in med-school and keeping house and making all of the money saps up all of my spare time. The spare time I do have I like to go rock climbing in TN, N. GA, N. Alabama and NC. Got my fingers crossed that she'll do good in medschool. Said I could do what ever I wanted when she gets out...which will include the jeep build up.

Because of the rock climbing, it will probably remain a mall cruiser/tralier queen type of jeep, but I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I built it my self...with some trail riding here and there between trips to the mall [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...

if any of you guys are close by and need help wrenching I'll be glad to lend a hand if I've got the time. I find that it tends to relieve a lot of stress gives me self confidence...right when I figure I can't do anything right I do a test. If I can still tighten a nut or bolt or run a power tool I feel better. amazing, and cheaper than prozak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode