question about moving cj rear axle back... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

question about moving cj rear axle back...

Hey all,

I have talked to a few people here before about moving the axle back. I plan on flopping the shackle hangers around and moving the spring hanger back also.

What happens when you move the spring hanger back and the frame bends up? Do I need to box it in? I am assuming that I just measure the distance in the change when I flop the shackle hanger around and move the spring hanger that distance right?

THanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: question about moving cj rear axle back...

I've been planning the sme thing. This past weekend at Dixie run I looked at several CJ's that had extended the rear of the frame and took some picts of what they had done. Unfotunatly it's on film and has yet to be developed.

What I saw was that they hd done as you explained. They measured how far back they were moving it, and came off the frame at the bend and built up a Spring hanger mount. Some went to the extent as to cut the frame off just before the bend and build a new rear frame section that angled upward over the axle and went straight back. Don't recall what they did for the shackle mount thoguh. I hope it's in the picts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This is the exact same thing i'm doing this winter. I'm going to also use waggy springs to move it even further back. My plan is the flip the rear hanger and just move the front hanger back to keep the same distance. You will have to box the front though, sort of like extending the flat section into the upward wheelwell if that makes sense here is a VERY rude mockup of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1199441-boxing.JPG (19.8 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Way Outta Control

How far back did they usually move the axle?

Or better put - what did the total wheelbase become?

Or maybe an even better question - what's the ideal wheelbase?

I've been thinking of stretching my M38A1 - except I was thinking I'd just cut the frame and body just ahead of the frame bend and add a section in the middle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:03 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

From what I remember, by flipping the hanger, you gain about 4.5 inches of wheelbase. By using front waggy springs in the rear should be about another 2.5 inches for a total of about 7" increase in wheelbase. That with the 3" I gained in the front would be an increase of 10" over a stock cj-5 (which i have)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Addict

im planning something similar, would love to see those pictures when you get them developed.

i got the idea from wade on here to use 'yota springs. they are about 8" longer than stockers, and have an offset center pin(i beleive 6" there)

so my plan is to leave the front hanger as is, and extend the fram to relocate the shackle hanger.

will end up with a stretched wheelbase of like 101 between that and the redrilled spring perches i got.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the ones that I wanted to ask what wheel base they went to, weren't around to ask. Just saw their rigs sitting at their campsites.

I'll get teh picts developed adn scanned as soon as I can.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Pooh-Bah

I was going to do what Richochet is showing, basically build off the curve of the frame for the spring pocket, but keeping it the same height as the bottom of the frame to keep from grabbing rocks.
I got it all mocked up, and decided now to go further back using a 4-link with something a little diffrent for springs though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode