Dana 44 front axle recommendations please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Dana 44 front axle recommendations please

So,I'm getting a rear axle. the new rear axle is driving me to convert the front to 5 on 5. Which isn't a bad thing.

so this is my question.

what would you recommend for a front axle, given my list of constraints?
1. I got $2800 to spend on a front axle, MAX.
2. I don't have my own garage, so I can't have my jeep clog up my buddy's garage for more then a few days.
3. He has an arc welder and I'm not afraid to use it.
4. axle needs to be 5 on 5. and have 4.11s, stock width.

options:
a: I can buy a front axle from Sam's off road $2600 with an ARB, complete disk to disk.
b: bolt pattern adapters (???) for the D30 and new gears

I like option b: because it is cheaper, but it is wasted money on a temporary solution. I like option a: because it would be an end point for me.

anyone have any advice on a more middle of the road solution?

the knuckle, hub and brake kit for the Sam's axle is $825. does anyone think I could acquire knuckles and brakes for less. I guess I could grab the knuckles/hubs/brakes off a ford?

should I be using CJ Knuckles? parts mike sells flat tops for $700, but that just blows up the cost.

anyway, drop me a post and let me know what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 AM

Re: Dana 44 front axle recommendations please

DIY. Shortening a D44 front isn't tough or expensive:

Junkyard axel with right ratio $75-$150
Shafts shortened by Moser $100
New brake pads and rebuilt calipers $100
New U-bolts $50
ARB $800
Brackets & spring perches $ 0

Throw in a few bucks for tools you don't already have, and you're still a grand ahead of buying an axel. And all the information you need is right here on this board.

But you're going to have a tough time finding a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. 5 on 5 1/2 is a lot more common. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:35 AM
Official Historian

Yeah, what did you find for a rear axle with a 5 by 5 bolt pattern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Can't Get Enough

What did you use for a rear axle. Depending on how wide it is you may not even have to narrow up the front to match. I used a 61" wagoneer dana 44 for the front (of course it is wider than a CJ's dana 30, but that was part of my plan) and outboarded my springs. With ARB's, gears and bearings total cost was about $1200 and I did it myself. Took about a weekend to swap it under the Jeep by myself. Two people it would have only been a day. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Ok 5 1/2

And I am reluctant to drag a ball of grease axle into my buddys garage and let it sit there while I tinker on it for a month. We are busy guys and we only get to play in his garage once a week.

I would consider it reasonable to buy a pre-made center section, inner knuckle to inner knuckle $1400. And assemble the outers + brakes.

Thanks for the info so far Jim and Tippy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:43 PM

$2800 for a front axle, give me a call, I see you coming. If you use that noggin on your shoulders it might cost you $500 so send the other 2300 to my house. Do some research, quick taking the easy route, be a man, look in junkyards. It a jeep, you be working on it the rest of your life, start now. Scouts have 44, broncos have 44 Gms have 44, dodges have 44, just find one close or cut one down. On rear axle. postal have 44 with limited slip and they direct bolt.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

trust me brown bag, I'm all man. so enough of your sack it up stuff
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

And, I use the head on my shoulders everyday. Its for eating.

and I've been cruising the junk yards in the area and the pick and pull charges over $300 for a complete front axle. the full service yards think they are sitting on gold.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:52 AM

That's astounding. I found three yards near here with a good quantity of front axels. One wanted $125 for any of them, the other two wanted $75. All prices were pulled ready for pickup. I spent $150 for two to get the right combination of ratio, differential and spring perch location, brakes and hubs.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if you have 2500 for a front axle.. then this is what i suggest.. you live in cali.. and there are many wheelers there.. so plenty of people will be upgrading to 1 tons.. i would buy a set of axles off of someone that is upgrading.. more than likely if you wait a little bit.. you will find a set that will damn near bolt in.. and be what you want.. you can get front and rear for probably under 2k.... and sell your rear and stock axles then.. make up some more of the cost.. i sold a set of 3/4 tons for 2k... that was with a d60hd rear.. all set up with high steering and all.. you'd just have to outboard the front springs.. which you could do in a day.. and bolt them in..
check other jeep boards.. like pirate4x4... JU.. local adds.. local 4x4 shops.. clubs.. what have you.. just be patient.. and im sure something will turn up for a good price..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I am not kidding Jim, I did a search last night with one of these junkyard search engines for F-100 / F150 1979-1983 front axle assemblies. The cheapest axle with 4.09s, with-in 200 miles was over $600 and the local pink N pull was $300 and something.

If that seems inflated, the average 4 bedroom house is $ 1/2 a million in San Jose.

And I agree with you jeepgod, that’s how a picked up my rear axle. Off the pirate4x4 board. A Currie built 9. I've been looking for a front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode