Thinking of Buying 92 Wrangler (Previous Rental) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thinking of Buying 92 Wrangler (Previous Rental)

Hi All,

I am new to jeeps and am looking to buy a '92 Jeep Wrangler, 5 spd, PS, PB, 177K miles. I test drove it and it seems to drive fine. It was previous a rental jeep here on Maui. My question is on how reliable these vehicles are, typically? Lots of people tell me that their friends have jeeps and there always fixing them. I want to buy something that will last me just a year or two, without much trouble. Is this the vehicle to go for Or, should I look for a different year/model jeep? I won't be doing much offroading, if any. Just something to use as a fun island ride.

Thanks a ton for any advice you have!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Thinking of Buying 92 Wrangler (Previous Rental)

A '92 YJ Wrangler is a nice vehicle. If you aren't very mechanically able I'd spend the few bucks to have a well known mechanic take a look at it for wear. As a rental chances are it was taken off-road and abused. The great thing is its a Jeep and can take quite a bit of abuse. I'd check all fluids to make sure they've been taken care of. Fluids can tell you a lot about a vehicles condition.

Right now you say you only want a Jeep for a year or two, but once you own it for 2 months you'll always want a Jeep. Some Jeeps that aren't taken care of do need a lot of work a lot of the time. The key is proper maintainance.

For a fun island ride a Jeep is perfect.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 02:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

My first question which motor does it have 4cyl. or 6cyl? Secondly Jeeps are a wonderful vehicle an can handle a lot of abuse. But 177,000 miles is a lot of miles for any vehicle...and that would make me weary of this Jeep. I would assume your getting a heck of deal on it but even so...personally I would pass on it and look for something with less mileage on it. The year is good both motors that were available then were decent...the 4cyl gets a little doggy with bigger tires but still a good motor.
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

lets not forget that this is a vehicle thats been on the road for 12 years [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
also.... If I were to ever rent a jeep... I seriously doubt you'd want to buy it afterwards...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Veteran

Hell, Chris, ......I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle that you owned [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Poster: InfantryYJ

Hell, Chris, ......I wouldn't want to buy a vehicle that you owned

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, I am in COMPLETE agreement with Rich. I am a little dissappointed in the fairy pic of you dancing away from that jeep.. I hope the USMC doesn't get a hold of that pic..
Now back to the rental jeep.....
Ricky...seeya...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Well, if it's the 4.0 there is a good chance it has blow-by, like mine. And you can never guess how the vehicle was driven when it was rented out. My grandpa once told me a story about when he worked out in Pensacola he and a few buddies rented a jeep, and basically beat the crap out of it and ended up rolling it on it's side, trying to get back up a pretty nasty hill. I would definetely take it to a shop and let them inspect the whole vehicle. That's just my opinion.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would never buy any rental vehicle. We all have, or know someone who has, beat the daylights out of one or more. I know a lot of guys who travel for work and lets just say they take pride in abusing them. Large Corporations get the best insurance and these guys know it. Driving w/ the e-break on and dragging the rear, throwing it in 1st at 80 and seeing if they can keep it on the road (btw, you can force almost a whole quart of oil through it by doing that only a couple of times), off road adventures in bran new Park Avu.'s. I have a friend in Jacksonville who didn't like the car that they gave him (Monte Carlo w/ 500 miles on it), so after trying to break it several times, he got it up to about 45 or 50 and put it in reverse, called them up and yelled at them to get another one out there and pick him up. That guy pours his cold coffee on the carpeted floor of the car when he's done w/ it. Just stay away from the rentals.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:20 PM
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I am a little dissappointed in the fairy pic of you dancing away from that jeep

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics can be deceiving,.......It's not as it appears.........and you know this maaaaaaaann!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Everything that's been said previously aside, it's worth something to someone. The question is the SOMETHING and are you the SOMEONE?

We don't know squat about you, what engine/tranny options or the price. If it's at about average price and/or you are not mechanically inclined enough to work on it yourself, RUN don't walk away. If you are looking for dependable transportation, it may or may not be a good choice. You may think you are buying a daily driver and end up with a project. If it's cheap, you can handle what may come up including an engine or tranny rebuild, and you can do with being without it unexpectedly a few days here and there, go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode