Bring on the Heat, but How? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bring on the Heat, but How?

This coming winter will be my first with the Jeep. I can only guess how cold it will be, specially since I don't have any vents that will blow hit directly at me.

There have been a few cold mornings/evenings when I've needed a little heat. The heater took about 5 min to really warm up (hand directly over vent), and even more time for the whole Jeep to get warm. Even then I could've used just a little more heat to get that warm and toasty feeling.

I've found 3 heating products at Quadratec may consider making a purchase if they are worth my while. The products I've found are 2 different mojave heaters and a backseat heater:

Mojave Heater 640 - $149.95

Mojave Heater Plenum Box - $38.95

Back Seat Heater - $64.95

First off, what in the world is the mojave heater? Does it replace the heater in your Jeep? If so, would this be difficult to install?

Secondly, how about that back seat heater? How well do they work? I'm a little worried about mounting it in the back. Any safety issues there?

I would love to hear any suggestions you all may have. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]

Thanks! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Bring on the Heat, but How?

The Mojave heater works on the same principal as your stock heater. It takes the hot coolant from the engine and blows air through a heater core. It will only work well once the engine is warmed up. You could add it in series with your current heater but it won't get any hotter any quicker. You might want to think about upgrading your stock blower motor to something that pushes more air. This can easily be done, just search for the blower motor upgrade. Its on the board and on the net.

The backseat heater is nothing more than an electrical space heater. You could put it anywhere in your vehicle, so if you wanted instant heat in the front then thats the place to use it. It doesn't require the engine to warm up, and you could even use it when the Jeep was off if you wired it that way.

Its all a matter of personal choice. You may also want to check that your heater core is working up to par, they can stop working at their peak.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Upgrade the blow motor you say? I'll definitely check that out.

I'm definitely considering the back seat heater option. More than likely I'd mount it in the front. That's where I'll need most of the heat as I don't have many backseat passengers.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:22 AM
MudDogYJ

Winters in Oklahoma? how cold does it actually get down there?
im in north country upstate NY for winter, and theres some mornings when the temp gague at the bank i drive by says -20F. the reason i have to use the bank is because my exterior temp gague is frozen.
my point is, ive had pretty good luck so far with the stock setup on a '90 YJ after 3 harsh winters. maybe try out what you have first, then assess your heating needs, just a thought...

good luck with the research
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Our winters aren't as harsh as yours, obviously. On average, we'll see 20's quite a bit, only dipping into the teens in the morning or at night. Oklahoma just seems to get a lot of mixed weather, both very hot and cold at times.

The point is that I do not have any vents that blow heat directly at me. I also have a soft top with a few holes in it. And when I'm driving fast enough my upper door will jiggle and cause air to rush in. Combined, I can only imagine how hard it will be to stay warm. Not to mention I drive my g/f around a lot. I can stand a little cool air, but she can't. If anything, I just need to keep her and any other (girl) passengers warm and happy.

I think I'm still going to consider the mountable heater. At it's current price tag it won't exactly break the bank.

Oh, forgot to mention... I have an air scoop. The scoop was on when I bough the Jeep. While this does do a good job circulating the air I wonder if it's making the air from the heater any cooler? If so, I may take that sucker right off.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:35 AM

Any massive air leaks and all your heat is gone in 2 seconds when a cold wind blows through your jeep. I ditched the softop in favor of hard doors and top years ago and never regretted it.

The heater blower motor upgrade sounds like a good option. The defroster is marginal otherwise.

I am using something similar to the Mojave heater. It is an auxillary heater unit that I mounted on the floor between the two front seats. I positioned it rearward enought that the two heater core ends go outside the jeep through two 1" holes I cut in the step up to the rear bed. I ran two hoses along the passenger side frame. You hook it up with a Y fitting to the existing heater core lines. It does not diminish your existing heat by splitting the flow. There will be more than enough flow with the reduced resistance of two in parallel. I've had this for years, and it's excellant to have an extra source of heat. I can leave the stock system on defrost and run the auxillary to heat the passenger area. And it does get cold here in Winnipeg.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I wouldn't waste any money on that rear seat heater. It's only 300 Watts, a good hair dryer is 1250-1500+ on high and 600-700 on low. It just ain't gonna do much good. Go to JC Whitney and buy the 12V hair dryer. When you find out that it doesn't put out much heat, at least your girlfriend can get some use out of it on the mornings she's running late for work.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Oh, forgot to mention... I have an air scoop. The scoop was on when I bough the Jeep. While this does do a good job circulating the air I wonder if it's making the air from the heater any cooler?

[/ QUOTE ]

The scoop is increasing the flow of air through the heater the same as a higher output fan. The opening should be toward the windshield. If it is to the front of the jeep, it is blocking the flow of air into the system. You'll have lower pressure there than inside the jeep possibly overpowering the fan and pulling air out of the jeep at highway speeds.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmm, wasn't too sure how much heat 300W would provide. Guess it isn't enough [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The heater blower upgrade sounds like my best bet right now. I like the idea of the mounted auxillary fan, but I'll have to do some research. I would like this to be as inexpensive as possible. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The scoop opening is facing the front of the Jeep. How does that decrease air flow? If it faces the front then it should catch more air. Maybe I misunderstood you, or I just don't get it. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It works facing backwards by creating a low pressure area. That then creates vacuum and pulls the air in. It is designed to face the rear of the Jeep and if you look in the catalogs you'll see thats they way it is mounted there. This is one of those things that you've got to trust science.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode