Steering feels really wierd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Steering feels really wierd

My '87 YJ has been sitting for about two weeks in the driveway. I started it up last night and took it for a ride. The steering felt really wierd. It felt as if the tires would be flat, but they're not. It was kind of hard to turn and then it got easier and then hard again. Hard to explain. It has been cool here in NY, but definetly not freezing. I was thinking maybe my power steering fluid was frozen or something, but wouldn't that have been cured once the Jeep warmed up? How do I check the level on the fluid? Is it in the container behind the radiator on the drivers side? Thanks in advance for the help.

Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Steering feels really wierd

Yes its in the container behind the radiator on the front of the engine. There's a cap on it.....just unscrew the cap and built into the cap is a dip stick. Check that you have enough fluid.....my guess is you don't.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Power steering pumps commonly let out a squeal when they get low on fluid, not always but usually. I'm betting your problem is the front axle u-joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I drove it some more tonight, and I have a theory. It was sitting in my driveway for a few weeks. I started it up, but did not really drive it for a while. The weather here has been changing and the last time i did drive it, I actually ran it through the car wash(not that it has too much relevance, i think). So when I drove it a little more tonight, it was actually feeling better, but still a little wierd. I think maybe because it sat for a few weeks, the tires kind of got hard on the bottom and that is what i was feeling, but after i put a few miles on it, they rounded out more and the steering is now smoother. I could be wrong, but it's an idea. I dropped it at the mechanic tonight for him to do an oil change tommorow and I mentioned to him to take a look at it. I'll try to keep you all posted on the end result.

Donny
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:06 AM

you didn't say what your running for tires, but unless you are running some thick bias plys you more than likely wouldn't be getting any flat spotting. Even on a jeep, a bias ply tire might not flat spot (or at least not bad, being they are so light) If you got radials, I wouldn't suspect it. Even in fairbanks, where it gets a little chilly in the winter, I never had a problem with my 35's getting out of round.

Maybe my cj5 had such a death wobble to it that I never noticed... stanger $&*t has happened!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'm running 32" BFG ATKO's .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode