Rear Leaf on a TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Rear Leaf on a TJ

well i poped my d35 at Dixie Run this weekend [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. ive found/bought a D44 out of an 87' XJ, im going to go to rear leaf on the 00' TJ but i dont know what spring packs to use (XJ, YJ, 'yota, ect.). the D44 is SOA so im going to go that route with the leafs on the back. im looking for good flex and ride but dont what tons of sag after 2-3 months. would you guys use a factory leaf pack with an add-a-leaf or get a 1"-2" lift pack. ive used the search and cant find much, maybe im not useing the right word combos. but if some on could point me in the right direction that would be great. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

thanks
john [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rear Leaf on a TJ

well i poped my d35 at Dixie Run this weekend

I'm shocked.... I've never seen that before. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].ok.. I have... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
an SOA YJ spring will be about level with a 4" lift +3/4" coil spacer in the front. I have put leafs in tyhe front and rear of a tj and it's not that hard. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
jeepgod used to have the pics of us doing it on his website, but I can see I dont rate anymore...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

"an SOA YJ spring will be about level with a 4" lift +3/4" coil spacer in the front. "
thats cool cause im running 3" springs with 1 3/4" pucks........what type of leafs did you use????? yj stock pack or lifted pack....i did find your jeep on pats site but it didnt have build up pics of it......

later
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

stock yj springs will yield about 4.5-5" of lift..
you'll need a traction bar though... I fabbed one up on my tj frame that ran from the stock skid pan to the axle tube.... you WILL need one of these or you WILL be binding up a lot of u-joints
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

This is probably a stupid question but why exactly would you want to swap coils for leafs on a tj?? what is the bennifit?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

"I fabbed one up on my tj frame that ran from the stock skid pan to the axle tube"
do you by chance have a pic of how you mounted it to the skid.....cool factory leafs are easy to find [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]..ive heard that if you use a longer spring perch it also helps control spring wrap...is that true also [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

rio grande: by going leaf in rear you control that nasty habit TJ have of picking the driver front tire up in the air when locked and turning left [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

elusive: did you use factory shackels or did you use greasables???? also did you run a swaybar in the rear also?????

later
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sway bar? We don't need no stinkin' sway bar!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

rio grande: by going leaf in rear you control that nasty habit TJ have of picking the driver front tire up in the air when locked and turning left
actually.. the long arm kits don't do that either...

ive heard that if you use a longer spring perch it also helps control spring wrap...is that true also
its true, but the yj leafs are so soft.. it won't cure the problem...and with the traction bar, theres no need for it [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

hey brent quit trying to pad the posts [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] hahahahahaha

elusive: what do you think of using a heavier spring like the xj set???? this is still my DD so id hate to have to replace rear springs all the time when they wear out....
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
later
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Pepin, Did you look into or know anyone that used XJ leafs? I was thinking this would be a better option.

1. They are used SOA from Factory
2. I've heard so often that YJ Leafs Sag to quick
3. XJ leafs are offset and longer if I'm not mistaken which would lend itself to better flex.

Thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode