O/T: 'Miss' Isabel's lasting legacy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T: \'Miss\' Isabel\'s lasting legacy

Well guys... I am sitting here 'eating crow'. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

While poking fun at all you 'North Kackilackie' folks about last week's storm, I should have been better preparing myself. [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] We are STILL sitting here in the DARK! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] And, seeing as we are on a private well, we are also w/o running water. The 'back to nature' was fun for a few days, but my wife is thinking I'm smelling a little TOO 'natural' for her tastes. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]

Goes to show you, 'watch who you poke fun at' b/c 'what comes around, goes around'! [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

Glad to hear the rest of you folks made it through alright. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] (I saw a link over on the CJ-8.org site of a Scrambler owner not quite as blessed... big ol' oak came down right atop his -8... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=178597 OUCH! Not much left for salvaging either. [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img])

R/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T: \'Miss\' Isabel\'s lasting legacy

yep.. i had a hard time in that storm.. no internet.. until the next day.. but i watched some dvd's.. and grilled some burgers outside.. had some mucho beer... ya.. it was a rough one.. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

yep.. you northerners.. point your fingers again.. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

hope things return to normal soon for you... my friend in DC is still with out water also..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
my friend in DC is still with out water also

[/ QUOTE ]

You got friends [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yep.. and most of them look better than you...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Isabel kinda skirted us...bout time we missed "the big one". Couple of good sized limbs down in the yard, old cheepie "bubble" skylight got sucked off the roof and a couple of shingles missplaced...

On well and septic here. Good sized generator will pump water, and if you have gas HWH you can be stylin' and not stinkin'. Got mine set up to run the blowers on the gas central heat, some lights, well and septic pumps...I got tired of camping in my own house every time the power went out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 06:21 PM

I can grip that. Power goes out around me every time someone sneezes. I had to borrow onetonejeepers generator/welder this 4th of july. After that I fixed mine. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] No more outages for me. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Alright! We 'gots lights' again! Came on about an hour ago - just as I was fixing to pull water out of the well via bucket and rope for flushing the crapper(s). Shower time! No more cold water shaving nor instant coffee in the morning! (I don't mind that when in the field - goes w/ the territory ["small price to pay to be one of the world's finest..." and all that 'motivation' jazz] - but when at home I like my hot water/lather and percolated '8 O'Clock Coffee'.)

Worst part of this whole fiasco - now - is throwing out the bear meat I had in the freezer. That was some good eating... wasted! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] The rest of the stuff is easily replaceable, but bear meat is tough to come across around these parts. On the positive side, it opens up space for this year's venison harvest.

Anyhow, just thought I'd let you know you can stop feeling sorry for my wife and kids now! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

R/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I don't mind that when in the field - goes w/ the territory ["small price to pay to be one of the world's finest..." and all that 'motivation' jazz

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehem,,,snicker, snicker, snicker,....that's funny,.....law dawg in the field,...hehehe

Glad to hear that your power is back on though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Let everything in the freezer re freeze, then trash it. It will smell a bit less.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, I know... lawyer in the field is a rare sight. (But so is finding a lawyer, w/ blackened fingernails, driving a 20+ yr old Jeep w/ NRA life member stickers. And, oh by the way, I also hate lawyers - literally and figuratively. Don't get me started... THAT soapbox is overdue.)

Fortunately, for me (us?), there are a few of us who prefer the operational side of the MOS/profession over being a courtroom weenie or paper pushing bureaucrat. That being said, everything post-MEU has pretty much been a letdown and in the administrator/bureaucrat mode. (Downside of moving up the foodchain.[img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img])

Honestly though, you're right on target... too many JAGs prefer being a lawyer first, and put being a Marine second. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] (Those are the ones usually sporting double 'pizza boxes' too! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]) I'll not defend them or their mindset... but, we do need a few REM*s to 'stay in the rear w/ the gear'! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Right?

I've not been a lawyer my entire time in the Corps', but then I've never been a dyed-in-the-green-grunt either. I'd just ask that ya'll be somewhat thankful for folks like me fighting the brass for rules of engagement that are of some real value to you, the trigger pullers. I see THAT, and the defense of YOUR (justified) ACTIONS, as my real value to the operators.

Not trying to be defensive, but not many really understand what our role is (or is not). [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

R/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode